[MCN] Soft Landing Missoula Presents "Eritrea: The Country, Culture, and Circumstance"

Winona winonas at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 16:13:03 EST 2017

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

February 24, 2017

SOFT LANDING MISSOULA PRESENTS ITS THIRD LECTURE:

“ERITREA: THE COUNTRY, CULTURE, AND CIRCUMSTANCE”

Missoula, MT, February 24, 2017 — Soft Landing Missoula will present “Eritrea:
the Country, Culture, and Circumstance
<https://www.facebook.com/events/243363232782354/>” on Wednesday, March 8,
2017, from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. in the University Center Theater, located on
the 3rd floor of the University Center on the University of Montana (UM)
campus.

“We are so excited to offer this third talk in our lecture series as a way
to better understand and welcome new neighbors to our community,” said Mary
Poole, executive director. “Missoula has been blessed with the arrival of
seven Eritrean families; people whom we have found to be incredibly warm,
kind, and engaging. We are honored to be able to share what we have learned
from them and so grateful for the experience and knowledge our speakers
bring to this event.”

Sponsored by UM’s African-American Studies Program, UM’s Political Science
Department, and Montana Model UN, this presentation will feature two
distinguished speakers: Kimberly A. Maynard, Ph.D. and Solomon M. Gofie,
Ph.D., and will be followed by a Q&A period.

Dr. Maynard's journey has taken her from smoke jumping in Missoula to work
in natural disasters and, ultimately, war zones. Her fieldwork includes 30
years as a practitioner in crisis management, conflict recovery, and
peacebuilding. During 20 of these years, she worked in the Horn of Africa’s
war-torn regions. She began by providing humanitarian assistance to
refugees and displaced persons and then went on to study the drivers behind
forced migration and the means to transition from crisis to peace and
renewal. Dr. Maynard holds a doctorate in International Affairs and has
worked with the US Agency for International Development, the United
Nations, the Red Cross, World Bank, and non-governmental organizations in
conflict zones around the world. Dr. Maynard is currently UM’s Mansfield
Fellow in International Affairs and works part time with USAID’s Office of
Transition Initiatives.

Dr. Gofie is Assistant Professor at the Department of Political Science and
International Relations, Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia. His areas of
research include state, society and human rights, migration and
transnational involvement in the Horn of Africa, conflict resolution,
citizenship and political communities in the Horn of Africa; he has
recently published scholarly articles and book chapters on these topics.
Dr. Gofie is currently a visiting adjunct faculty at UM’s Department of
Political Science, teaching courses on human rights and politics in Africa.

This is the third public lecture in the Soft Landing Missoula Presents
<http://softlandingmissoula.org/past-newsletters?category=SLM+Presents>
series. Soft Landing Missoula recommends arriving to the University Center
Theater early as past lectures have filled to capacity.

Soft Landing Missoula is a group of dedicated citizens, business owners,
and non-profit organizations who have come together with the goal of
opening our city, arms, and hearts in a sustainable way to refugees from
around the world. We help Missoula, Montana, be a welcoming, supportive and
informed community that can assist refugees to integrate and thrive. For
more information, visit softlandingmissoula.org
<http://www.softlandingmissoula.org>.

###

Media Contact

Mary Poole, Soft Landing Missoula