[MCN] MONTANA GROUPS TO SENATORS, FOREST SERVICE––NO MOUNTAIN BIKE DEALS IN PROPOSED WILDERNESS, GRIZZLY BEAR HABITAT

Dawn Serra dserra at wildernesswatch.org
Wed Jan 4 16:59:20 EST 2017

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: January 4, 2017

Contact: George Nickas, 406-531-2355; Keith Hammer, 406-755-1379; Mike
Jarnevic, mountain bike user/Sierra Club member 406-544-8671

*MONTANA GROUPS TO SENATORS, FOREST SERVICE––NO MOUNTAIN BIKE DEALS IN
PROPOSED WILDERNESS, GRIZZLY BEAR HABITAT*

MISSOULA–– Nine conservation organizations from throughout Montana today
sent a letter (http://bit.ly/2j188Ow)to Senators Jon Tester and Steve
Daines and the U.S. Forest Service opposing a mountain bike play area in
a proposed Wilderness Area on the Lolo National Forest.

The letter states the deal announced between the Blackfoot Clearwater
Stewardship Project, Montana Wilderness Association and the
International Mountain Bike Association proposing a 3,000 acre “play
area” for mountain bikes is /“both a terrible idea and a terrible
precedent.” /

//

/“This deal between user groups, prior to the forest plan revision
process, is an end run around the greater public and the public
involvement process. Please adhere to the established land management
planning and public involvement process so that the broader American
public can be involved and not just a handful of self-selected special
interest user groups. These lands belong to all of the American people
–– not just the political elite special interests. The American people
are absolutely fed up with political insiders making deals that affect
them. “ /

The roadless areas in the Monture Creek and Swan Front have been
proposed for inclusion in the Bob Marshall Wilderness Complex for
decades and support a host of primitive recreation activities as well as
being prime elk habitat accessed by hunters. It is also primary grizzly
bear habitat within the Northern Continental Divide Ecosystem Recovery Area.

"This is another unfortunate example of humans and their machines
penetrating deeper into our few remaining wildlands," stated Wilderness
Watch executive director, George Nickas.  "Places like Monture Creek
need to be preserved intact for wildlife and wild nature, not divvied up
amongst the ceaseless demands of recreation user groups.”

The groups object to the inherent conflict of mountain biking in grizzly
bear habitat, noting the Forest Service has not fully learned the
lessons from the tragic mountain biking death of Forest Service employee
Brad Treat, who collided with a grizzly bear and was fatally mauled. The
groups emphasize that /*“for the purposes of public lands management and
planning and assessing the impacts to wildlife, we strongly believe that
mountain bikes should be re-classified as mechanized recreation vehicles
with impacts more similar to motorized vehicles than traditional hiking
or stock use.”*/**

"State and federal agencies have long warned against high-speed mountain
biking in bear habitat," said Swan View Coalition Chair Keith Hammer.
"Mountain bike play areas don't belong in the backcountry and wilderness
designation should instead be pursued for the protection of wildlife."

“As a mountain biker, I believe mountain bikes have their place, but
that place is not in roadless areas that have potential for wilderness
designation. And mountain bikes, by their very nature, are disruptive to
the concept of ‘an area where the earth and its community of life are
untrammelled by man,’" explained Mike Jarnevic, a mountain bike user and
Sierra Club member.

Jonathan Matthews, chair of the Montana Sierra Club and a Helena
resident said, “I love mountain biking, but mountain bikes do not belong
in wilderness areas or areas with wilderness character. These places are
sanctuaries from the mechanized world. There are so few of these truly
wild places left and we need to preserve them, not surrender them to
mountain bike play areas."

A copy of the letter is here: http://bit.ly/2j188Ow

# # #

--

Dawn Serra
Communications and Outreach Coordinator*

www.wildernesswatch.org <http://www.wildernesswatch.org>
“Like” WW on Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wilderness-Watch/130160330396668?sk=wall>

Follow WW on Twitter <https://twitter.com/WildernessWatch>
Donate <https://wildernesswatch.crm.salsalabs.org/webDonation/>
/
/*/Wilderness Watch/*///defends our 110 million-acre National Wilderness
Preservation System.

/