[MCN] Chickens make it to the Washington Post: Smart birds?

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Fri Jan 13 18:46:18 EST 2017

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/animalia/wp/2017/01/13/chickens-changed-the-world-so-why-do-we-ignore-them

Excerpts

Five-day-old chicks display basic addition and subtraction abilities.
Hens have demonstrated transitive inference, or the ability to deduce
that if A is bigger than B and B is bigger than C, then A is bigger
than C. That's considered a milestone for 7-year-old children.

Chickens' food calls are among about two dozen vocalizations that
convey distinct meanings, and using them is called "referential
communication."

"When we found it in monkeys many years ago, it was a big thing. We
didn't think other animals are capable of referential communication,"
said Marino, whose paper was published in the journal Animal
Cognition. "Now we're seeing a lot of parallels between chickens and
a lot of the mammals that we think of as very intelligent."

--
=--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------=
"Oxygen in the atmosphere might be reduced several percent below the

"Free oxygen not only supports life; it arises from life. The oxygen
now in the atmosphere is probably mainly, if not wholly, of
biological origin."

Preston Cloud and Aharon Gibor. The Oxygen Cycle.
Scientific American, September 1970
=--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------=
"We found that tree mortality rates increased by an overall average
of 4.7%yr from 1963 to 2008, with higher mortality rate increases in
western regions than in eastern regions (about 4.9 and 1.9% yr ,
respectively). The water stress created by regional drought may be
the dominant contributor to these widespread increases in tree
mortality rates across tree species, sizes, elevations, longitudes
and latitudes. Western Canada seems to have been more sensitive to
drought than eastern Canada" (Peng et al 2011).
"We contend that traditional approaches to forest conservation and
management will be inadequate given the predicted scale of
social-economic and biophysical changes in the 21st century."

Forest Ecology and Management Accepted 7 October 2015
Review and synthesis
Achievable future conditions as a framework for guiding forest
conservation and management
S.W. Golladay, K.L. Martin, J.M. Vose, D.N. Wear, A.P. Covich, R.J.
Hobbs, K.D. Klepzig, G.E. Likens, R.J. Naiman, A.W. Shearer