[MCN] UM researcher: Rapid warming slows forest carbon sink

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Tue Jan 24 08:37:36 EST 2017

Excerpt from release: "The study focused on Earth's natural carbon
cycle responded during both periods of rapid, and less rapid, warming
that would normally be expected.

"It revealed that the total amount of carbon taken up by land
ecosystems slowed during periods of rapid warming, and sped up during
periods of slower warming.

"More significantly, the team demonstrated that while rates of
photosynthesis remained constant during the periods of slower
warming, the forests released less carbon back into the atmosphere -
meaning the Earth is storing much more carbon during these warming
hiatuses.

" 'The global carbon sink has been surprisingly strong during the
period from 1998 to 2012, and we now begin to understand the causal
mechanisms', says Ashley Ballantyne of University of Montana, and
lead author of the new research. "

Full release
https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2017-01/uoe-ft012317.php

Nature Climate Change article
Satellite and atmospheric observations show that the rate of net
biome productivity has accelerated over the warming 'hiatus' period
(1998-2012). This net gain results from reduced respiration, rather
than increased primary productivity.
http://www.nature.com/nclimate/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nclimate3204.html
"The individual scientist can survive for a long time by lying low in
the valley of specialized intellectual interest ... We in science
must get up and face the wind, confront the future."

William Bevan, "The Sound of the Wind That's Blowing."
American Psychologist. July 1976