[MCN] 2017 Montana wildfires not isolated local issue

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Tue Jul 11 09:28:48 EDT 2017

New York Times July 10 2017     Wildfires Spread Across at Least Six States and Canada
By CHRISTINE HAUSER

Brief excerpts

Wildfires rolled across dry terrain in the Western United States and through a region of Canada, fueled by lightning, whipping winds and temperatures in the triple digits that have fanned the flames across parched lands. The National Weather Service early on Monday issued red flag warnings, signaling critical conditions over the next 24 hours, for regions in at least six states.

More than 14 active wildfires in Nevada

A state of emergency in Arizona

Oregon, Washington and elsewhere across the West - Wildfires have also been reported in New Mexico. Idaho’s first warnings for the season came on Monday with the National Weather Service saying expected thunderstorms, humidity levels and powerful winds made conditions in the eastern part of the state susceptible to wildfires.

Thousands evacuated in Canada.  Further north, in Canada, wildfires raged in multiple spots dotting British Columbia. Kevin Skrepnek, a spokesman for the Provincial Wildfire Coordination Center, told CNN <http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/10/us/california-wildfires/index.html> that up to 10,000 people were ordered to evacuate as of Monday from what he described as major fires.

"What would happen to the climate if we were to stop emitting carbon dioxide today, right now? Would we return to the climate of our elders?

"The simple answer is no.”

https://theconversation.com/if-we-stopped-emitting-greenhouse-gases-right-now-would-we-stop-climate-change-78882