[MCN] This one paragraph might be the best summary of "worse than you think" climate scenario

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Fri Jul 21 11:56:07 EDT 2017

1st paragraph: "New York’s David Wallace-Wells has a formidable cover story in the magazine this week, “The Uninhabitable Earth <http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/07/climate-change-earth-too-hot-for-humans.html> <<http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/07/climate-change-earth-too-hot-for-humans.html <http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/07/climate-change-earth-too-hot-for-humans.html>>>,” that dryly details just how bad things could get due to climate change. The answer? Very, very bad. The timeline? Sooner than you think. The instantly viral piece might be the Silent Spring <http://www.amazon.com/dp/0618249060/?tag=slatmaga-20> of our time, except it doesn’t uncover shocking new information—it just collects all the terrifying things that were already sitting out there into one extremely terrifying list.”

The above first paragraph from a Slate writer (non-scientist) is possibly the best summary I’ve seen of “it’s worse than you think” climate scenario -- Nothing really new here, merely a broad compilation of what scientists across many specialties had already been saying.

That was my take, too.

Yes, and obviously, The Uninhabitable Earth hyped some points, beginning with article’s title itself. But no one had to read far into the article before Wallace-Wells punctures that balloon, clarifying the picture by saying that only parts of the planet will actually be uninhabitable. Many another part of the planet will only be miserable.

Here’s your link to the full Slate article about The Uninhabitable Earth:
http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2017/07/we_are_not_alarmed_enough_about_climate_change.html <http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2017/07/we_are_not_alarmed_enough_about_climate_change.html>

And for The Uninhabitable Earth <http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/07/climate-change-earth-too-hot-for-humans.html> <<http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/07/climate-change-earth-too-hot-for-humans.html <http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/07/climate-change-earth-too-hot-for-humans.html>>>

“The individual scientist can survive for a long time by lying low in the valley of specialized intellectual interest .
... We in science must get up and face the wind, confront the future.”

William Bevan, “The Sound of the Wind That’s Blowing.” American Psychologist. July 1976