[MCN] Trump's (inadvertent) "war on coal"

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Fri Mar 17 09:58:36 EDT 2017

Financial Times March 17 2017

Fight against climate change finds an unlikely ally: Donald Trump
US president's commitment to shale may help keep lid on carbon emissions

https://www.ft.com/content/ab9bd972-0a6a-11e7-97d1-5e720a26771b

Excerpt

Mr Trump promised repeatedly throughout the US election campaign that
he would revive the struggling US coal industry and be the "last
shot" for miners.

However, some experts say the president's efforts to boost gas
production will make that promise difficult to keep and may instead
mean he ends up presiding over a fall in carbon emissions.

"That broad argument is quite reasonable and valid," said Glen
Peters, a scientist at the Center for International Climate Research
in Oslo (Cicero), who is part of a network of experts that has
tracked stalling global carbon emissions.

	High quality global journalism requires investment. Please
share this article with others using the link below, do not cut &
paste the article. See our T&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail.
Email ftsales.support at ft.com to buy additional rights.
	https://www.ft.com/content/ab9bd972-0a6a-11e7-97d1-5e720a26771b

"We are living on the surface of this planet, with only the resources
of this planet, with the fertility of its soil, with its mineral
wealth, and with its climate and atmosphere. It has always been the
task of mankind to find the right answer to the problem these
conditions set us, and even today we cannot think that we have found
a sufficient answer."

Alfred Adler (1870 -1937), quoted in The Individual Psychology of Alfred Adler,
Heinz L. Ansbacher and Rowena R. Ansbacker, editors
Harper Torchbooks, Harper & Row Publishers, 1956
"Trump can easily nullify guidance ... that climate change should be
factored into government agencies' formal environmental reviews."

Bloomberg March 14, 2017, 12:06 PM MDT
Trump to Drop Climate Change From Environmental Reviews, Source Says
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-03-14/trump-said-to-drop-climate-change-from-environmental-reviews