[MCN] A Valve Turner Speaks

Jeffrey J. Smith yswolfhowl at gmail.com
Fri May 12 12:41:26 EDT 2017

Hello.

350 Montana is sponsoring a party tomorrow evening to support Leonard
Higgins, who turned off a tar sands oil pipeline at Coal Banks Landing,
Montana, last October 11, one of five simultaneous acts of nonviolent
disobedience shutting down five separate pipelines.

On *Saturday, May 13, from 5 to 9 p.m., at Harmony Stables*, 3500 Duncan
Drive in Missoula, 350 Montana will introduce Leonard at an educational
fundraiser to support his legal defense through the Climate Disobedience
Action Fund. All are welcome for a barbecue, good local brews, music by
“Ellie Nuno and the Tynellies,” and the story of good people taking action
to avert the climate crisis.

Leonard hopes to present to a jury of his peers at his trial in Fort Benton
on July 18 a "necessity defense," that, in a democracy, when our
representatives fail to act in the face of an impending disaster like
climate change, ordinary citizens have a duty to act, to save themselves,
their loved ones, and the general public.

As this article from Leonard's hometown newspaper  --
http://www.gazettetimes.com/news/local/spinning-the-wheel-
corvallis-valve-turner-gambles-climate-protests-will/
article_7825862a-b2d5-5461-ba18-8a0e2c7c5d9f.html -- suggests, he is a
gentle, well-intentioned father and retired civil servant who has put his
future on the line to bring attention to our climate crisis.

350 Montana wants to bring folks together to learn about the moral grounds
for climate actions, pay tribute to their bravery, and raise money for
their legal defense. Because . . .

Every once in a while—not often enough—some very brave souls put themselves
in harm's way to right the wrongs of our time. They are our ordinary
heroes. Sometimes their bravery is rewarded by arrest, trial, and threats
of jail. For more information please visit: www.350montana.org or
www.shutitdown.today

Thank you.

Jeff Smith