[MCN] 15 ways oil sands impact reaches the oceans

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Tue May 23 17:02:49 EDT 2017

Excerpt:  "This March in Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment, my colleagues and I examine <http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/fee.1446> how extracting, refining, and transporting bitumen products from oil sands can impact some of the world’s most biodiverse and productive ecosystems: our oceans. We review the current state of knowledge about 15 threats to marine life associated with transporting bitumen products to market via coastal shipping, and the effects of acidifying, warming, and rising seas caused by greenhouse gas emissions that intensify climate change.

"We found key research gaps that need to be filled, such as bitumen’s toxicity to marine species. We also identified opportunities where existing research could be better used to inform decisions about extraction, transport, and energy alternatives. Both filling knowledge gaps and taking better advantage of the scientific knowledge we already have are two crucial steps toward making informed choices about energy development for the future."
Stephanie J Green, Kyle Demes, Michael Arbeider, Wendy J Palen, Anne K Salomon, Thomas D Sisk, Margot Webster, and Maureen E Ryan (2017) Oil sands and the marine environment: current knowledge and future challenges.
Front Ecol Environ 15(2): 74–83, doi:10.1002/fee.1446 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/fee.1446>

http://www.esa.org/esablog/research/oil-sands-frontiers-focus/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Ecotone+%28EcoTone%29 <http://www.esa.org/esablog/research/oil-sands-frontiers-focus/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+Ecotone+(EcoTone)>

“Our results suggest that, globally, a third of oil reserves, half of gas reserves and over 80 per cent of current coal reserves should remain unused from 2010 to 2050 in order to meet the target of 2C.”

 Christophe McGlade & Paul Ekins. The geographical distribution of fossil fuels unused when limiting global warming to 2C. Nature. January 8 2015
“Fossil-fuel use and greenhouse-gas emissions are growing worldwide. Yet many scientists say deep emissions cuts are necessary … to prevent … dangerous consequences of global warming. Getting from here to there would require a massive economic shift.”

Rachel Pannett and Jeffrey Ball. “Australia Approves Energy Bill.”  The Wall Street Journal  p.A7, August 21, 2009