[MCN] Tourism contributes to climate change: policies fail to address it

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Thu Nov 2 10:16:36 EDT 2017

Public Release: 2-Nov-2017
Australian tourism policies fail to address climate change
QUEENSLAND UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY
Despite evidence that tourism  climate change, Australia's Federal and State governments are failing to produce effective long-term tourism policy to address climate change, according to the findings of new QUT-led research.

JOURNAL
Journal of Sustainable Tourism
 <https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2017-11/quot-atp110217.php>http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/09669582.2017.1387121 <http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/09669582.2017.1387121>

Four-degree climate change – alarmist or realist?
It's not often that an entire roomful of scientists is in agreement but that was certainly the case when delegates at the 4 Degrees and Beyond: International Climate Conference in Oxford, UK, were asked to raise their hands if they thought that talking about an average global warming of 4C by 2100 was alarmist: not a single researcher waved their arm in the air.

Environmental Research Web  Oct 2, 2009
http://environmentalresearchweb.org/cws/article/news/40592 <http://environmentalresearchweb.org/cws/article/news/40592>

""No one wanted to pay attention to the implications of a world four degrees warmer… It's too horrendous to think about.  And no one talked about it. Then a few scientists said let's have a conference and actually talk about it. They held this conference in Oxford and I went along. As the conference started, there was a kind of suppressed emotional intensity, except in the coffee breaks. It was then that I would buttonhole a couple of scientists and say: 'Well, you know we're speculating about this. But what do you really think is the situation?' And one of them just looked at me and said: 'We're f--ked.'" — Clive Hamilton

Paul Kennedy. Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. Thursday September 07, 2017
http://www.cbc.ca/radio/ideas/are-we-f-ked-decoding-the-resistance-to-climate-change-1.4277614