[MCN] Soft Landing Missoula Presents Out of Syria: History, Conflict and Building a New Life

Soft Landing Missoula info at softlandingmissoula.org
Tue Apr 10 16:27:07 EDT 2018

Good afternoon!

Thank you for your ongoing support and recent coverage of Soft Landing
Missoula. We have an exciting opportunity that we would like to share
regarding our next lecture series.

Please review the information below and let me know if you have questions
or would like to schedule an interview!

Best,

Mary Poole

Soft Landing Missoula

Executive Director

info at softlandingmissoula.org

Fifth lecture in series to be held Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Soft Landing Missoula today announces the fifth installment of the highly
successful lecture series, “Soft Landing Missoula Presents”. The lecture,
titled “Out of Syria: History, Conflict and Building a New Life” will be
held on Tuesday, April 18 at 6 p.m. at the University of Montana UC
Theater. The lecture will explore historic and present day Syria through
the eyes of the refugee families that have been resettled in Missoula. This
event is free to the public; all are welcome and encouraged to attend.

“It has been a gift to get to know these families from Syria” Mary Poole,
Soft Landing Missoula’s Executive Director, said, “We are honored to have
been given the privilege and trust to tell a small part of their stories
and their incredible journey home to Missoula”.

Local Syrian refugees have offered much of the content for this talk and
will reflect on their homeland and their experiences coming to the Missoula
community. Topics such as what was left behind, hopes for the future of
Syria, and thoughts on now living in Missoula will be explored.

The talk will be presented by Brendan Work, Missoula County Public Schools’
Arabic teacher since 2012. Work previously learned the language and used
Arabic as a reporter and editor in the West Bank. He has volunteered in
southern Lebanon, taken students to Morocco, and works with Syrian and
Iraqi refugees in Missoula. He was educated at Swarthmore College in
Pennsylvania and holds a master's degree in education from the University
of Montana.

This lecture is sponsored by the University of Montana Global Engagement
Office, UM College of Humanities and Sciences, and The Franke Global
Leaders Initiative.

For more information or to schedule an interview, contact Mary Poole at
info at softlandingmissoula.org.