[MCN] Hug Your Native Trees Goodbye, Thanks To Climate Change

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Sun Apr 15 09:23:29 EDT 2018

Forbes  APR 15, 2018 @ 12:01 AM 340
Hug Your Native Trees Goodbye, Thanks To Climate Change
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffmcmahon/2018/04/15/hug-your-native-trees-goodbye-thanks-to-climate-change/#67cded676abd <https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffmcmahon/>
Jeff McMahon  <https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffmcmahon/>, CONTRIBUTOR

Excerpts

Brandt singled out Wisconsin's pine forests as particularly at risk. The Assessment predicts significant decreases in white pine, red pine, shortleaf pine and white spruce. After modeling two climate scenarios, it also anticipates trouble for deciduous species including the bigtooth aspen, black ash, black cherry, northern pin oak, paper birch, quaking aspen, and scarlet oak.

As its climate begins to resemble the climate of East Texas, the Midwest may not lose its canopy of hickories and oaks, Brandt said, but the canopy will likely consist of different hickories, different oaks

Brandt appeared on a panel at the Morton Arboretum's event, "The Future Of Trees: Hope In A Changing Climate," which also explored the best way property owners, municipalities and foresters can prepare for the changing climate.

Read Part Two Tomorrow: What Trees To Plant For A Changing Climate

“We are constantly deciding how much information is enough.” (p. 44)

“Once we finally reach a decision we are relieved to have the uncertainly of decision making behind us.
And now somebody turns up and tells us things that call the wisdom of that decision into question again.”
(pp. 99-100)

Dietrich Dorner. The Logic of Failure: Recognizing and Avoiding Error in Complex Situations.
1989 in German by Rowolt Verlag GMBH.
1996 in English by Metropolitan Books, Perseus Books.