[MCN] Popular Floral Design Tues, Feb 13

Sarah Margaret Semlitsch semlitschsmp at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 13:29:24 EST 2018

*FOR IMMEDIATE
RELEASE
  12 February 2018*

*CONTACT:  *Ellie Costello (MUD Organizational Director) Office: 406.721-7513
Cell: 406.531-9122 Email: director at mudproject.org

POPULAR ETHICAL FLORAL DESIGN WORKSHOP COMING UP

                  Missoula, MT— The Missoula Urban Demonstration Project
(MUD project) and Earth Within Flowers are partnering to offer an Ethical
Valentine’s Day Bouquet Workshop on Tuesday, February 13th from 6-8pm at
Home Resource’s Education Room on 1515 Wyoming Street, Suite 100. Melissa
Lafontaine, owner of Earth Within Flowers, will be teaching the flower
design class, where individuals will discuss flower justice and the slow
flower movement while creating a locally sourced, dried bouquet.

                  Included in your ticket is a ‘Heart Potion’ Kombucha made
with Hawthorn berries, Damiana and Hibiscus by Brittany Breitenbach, local
botanical brewress. Advanced tickets are $20 for MUD members and $40 for
non-members. Day-of tickets are $22.50 for MUD members and $45 for
non-members. This workshop is often sold out, so we recommend that you
pre-pay at our MUD Square Marketplace:
https://squareup.com/store/missoula-urban-demonstration-project/. The
proceeds from this workshop will be split between Earth Within Flowers and
the MUD project.

                  Earth Within Flowers is an eco-conscious floral design
business that provides an alternative to importing flowers from Ecuador,
Columbia, and other South American countries. Flowers sourced from South
America constitute 80% of the fresh blooms sold in the U.S. Local flower
sourcing promotes social and environmental justice as there is often
exploitation of labor and natural resources on South American flower farms.
Earth Within Flowers buys blooms from local farmers, composts all flower
waste, provides reusable vase options for rent, and shares the symbolism
and medicinal value of blooms. Specifically, the bouquets made in the
workshop will symbolize love of the environment and our local farmers. More
information about Earth Within Flowers can be found at
www.earthwithinflowers.com.

                  The MUD project is a non-profit that promotes urban
sustainable living. The organization provides the community with a tool
library, a truck share, a demonstration site, youth education programs, and
workshops. This is the third year that MUD and Earth Within Flowers have
partnered to bring an ethical floral design workshop to Missoula. Current
board of director Secretary, Jain Walsh, attended a previous ethical floral
design workshop, said, “The floral workshops are great self-care. I enjoy
embracing my creative side and learning skills I can use over and over.” These
workshops are a way MUD shares its vision with the community, “We believe
education, demonstration, and celebration of urban sustainable living will
create equitable communities and healthy ecosystems.” Learn more about MUD
and upcoming events at mudproject.org.

[image: Inline image 1]

(ashleycaitlinphotography.com)

###

Founded in 1981, the Missoula Urban Demonstration Project (MUD) is a
501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that promotes urban sustainability through
hands-on learning, resource sharing, and community engagement. MUD's vision
is that through education, demonstration, and celebration of urban
sustainable living, we will create equitable communities and healthy
ecosystems. Find out more at www.mudproject.org.

~~~~~~~
~~~~
Sarah M