[MCN] I have pdf: To get through the next hot droughts, ....

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Thu Feb 15 13:11:31 EST 2018

"Could we thrive in the face of a pan-continental megadrought? Probably yes, but only if we develop the appropriate buffering strategies in advance of the drought, and if we think more seriously about reducing emissions of greenhouse gases to the atmosphere as a way of keeping future droughts from becoming so hot and dry that they are beyond our buffering capacity."

Jonathan T. Overpeck is at the Institute of the Environment and in the Departments of Geosciences and of Atmospheric Sciences, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona 85721, USA.

“The impacts of temperature may also be more indirect, but still related to physiological tolerances. For example, in spiny lizards (Sceloporus), local extinctions seem to occur because higher temperatures restrict surface activity during the spring breeding season to a daily time window that is overly short [23].

Similarly, increased air temperatures may both decrease activity time and increase energy maintenance costs, leading organisms to die from starvation rather than from overheating [14].”

Cahill et al. How does climate change cause extinction?
Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences. 2013. http://dx.doi.org/10.1098/rspb.2012.1890