[MCN] Yellowstone Bison (Part 2)

John Meyer john at cottonwoodlaw.org
Thu Aug 8 14:52:59 EDT 2019

After being overturned by U.S. Senator Steve Daines/Congress on my last three court wins for public lands/endangered species, I've learned it is important to not only have the law and the science on your side, but also public opinion. In order to win in the court of public opinion, you have to ensure the public understands the issue. As Nelson Mandela says, “Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.”

This is part 2 in a multi-part series that is designed to educate and promote conversation around management of Yellowstone bison.

 Education

 White settlers killed buffalo to systematically destroy the cultural fabric of Native American Tribes. By 1902, less than 50 bison remained in the wild. The genocide forced Native Americans to submit to a foreign way of life and live on reservations.

Over the past 100 + years, the population of Yellowstone bison has steadily increased. Most scientists agree that the population numbers fewer than 6,000 animals today.

Native American Tribes began asserting their Treaty Rights to hunt Yellowstone buffalo in the 2000’s. Today, members from Tribes in Montana, Idaho, and Washington assert their Treaty Rights to hunt Yellowstone buffalo.

 Conversation starter

Should Native American Tribes be allowed to hunt Yellowstone buffalo? Should non-Native Americans be allowed to hunt Yellowstone buffalo? If there are not enough Yellowstone buffalo for Native and non-native Americans to hunt, what should we do?

John Meyer
Executive Director & General Counsel
Cottonwood Environmental Law Center
P.O. Box 412 Bozeman, MT 59771
John at Cottonwoodlaw.org
(406) 546-0149

The information contained herein is privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you must delete this email and inform the sender of the error.

Like what we're doing? Click here <http://www.cottonwoodlaw.org/#donate> to donate.