[MCN] Overpopulation (Part 2)

John Meyer john at cottonwoodlaw.org
Tue Aug 13 17:03:44 EDT 2019

Yesterday I asked how we can talk with people about overpopulation in rural areas.

 One person suggested that we listen to people who don’t share our viewpoints.

I thought about the idea this morning as I mowed my lawn and realized my question about climate change and overpopulation being Chinese hoaxes was condescending. If somebody doesn’t share my worldview I had just eliminated space to listen to theirs.

My ego immediately tried to defend itself: do we have time to start from scratch and listen to everyone that has an opinion on whether climate change and overpopulation are serious issues? Where do we start—do we have to go back and explain that the Earth is not flat?

At the most basic level: When we listen to other people that have views that are different from our own do we have to be open to believing what they are saying?  Or do we just have to listen to them enough so that we can meet them where they there and bring them along with us? Is listening with an agenda really listening?

Conversation starter

 If the science tells us that overpopulation is contributing to mass-extinction of species <https://www.biologicaldiversity.org/programs/population_and_sustainability/extinction/>, how should we listen to people that say no it isn’t?

 Can we use an emotion other than fear to make overpopulation an issue that people in Montana care about?

John Meyer
Executive Director & General Counsel
Cottonwood Environmental Law Center
P.O. Box 412 Bozeman, MT 59771
John at Cottonwoodlaw.org
(406) 546-0149

The information contained herein is privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you must delete this email and inform the sender of the error.

Like what we're doing? Click here <http://www.cottonwoodlaw.org/#donate> to donate.