[MCN] I have the pdf: Vertebrate biodiversity on indigenous lands equals that in protected areas

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Fri Aug 16 10:36:41 EDT 2019

Environmental Science and Policy

Received 30 January 2019; Received in revised form 26 June 2019; Accepted 5 July 2019

Vertebrate biodiversity on indigenous-managed lands in Australia, Brazil,  and Canada equals that in protected areas
Richard Schustera,b,⁎,1, Ryan R. Germaina,c,1, Joseph R. Bennettb, Nicholas J. Reod, Peter Arcesea

Abstract
Declines in global biodiversity due to land conversion and habitat loss are driving a ‘Sixth Mass Extinction’ and many countries fall short of meeting even nominal targets for land protection. We explored how such shortfalls in Australia, Brazil and Canada might be addressed by enhancing partnerships between Indigenous communities and other government agencies that recognize and reward the existing contributions of Indigenous-managed lands to global biodiversity conservation, and their potential contribution to meeting international treaty targets. We found that Indigenous-managed lands were slightly more vertebrate species rich than existing protected areas in all three countries, and in Brazil and Canada, that they supported more threatened vertebrate species than existing protected areas or randomly selected non-protected areas. Our results suggest that overall, Indigenous-managed lands and existing protected areas host similar levels of vertebrate biodiversity in Brazil, Canada, and Australia. Partnerships with Indigenous communities that seek to maintain or enhance Indigenous land tenure practices on Indigenous-managed lands may therefore have some potential to ameliorate national and global shortfalls in land protection for biodiversity conservation using a mix of conventional protected areas and Indigenous-managed lands.

“ Increasingly, fires are even spreading through the Arctic, where there is little to burn other than grasses, sedges, and a few shrubs.”

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/145417/a-new-global-fire-atlas?src=eoa-iotd