[MCN] Speaking of climate tipping points : A quickie list of opinion, science

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Sat Dec 21 12:48:00 EST 2019

Speeding along the Highway to Hell <https://news.google.com/articles/CBMiX2h0dHBzOi8vbGV0aGJyaWRnZWhlcmFsZC5jb20vY29tbWVudGFyeS9vcGluaW9ucy8yMDE5LzEyLzIxL3NwZWVkaW5nLWFsb25nLXRoZS1oaWdod2F5LXRvLWhlbGwv0gEA?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen>
Climate change nearing the 'point. of no return'. “The point of no return is no longer over the horizon,” warned UN secretary general Antonio Guterres as the ...
Lethbridge Herald
7 hours ago

We're on the highway from comfort to austerity <https://news.google.com/articles/CBMiiwFodHRwczovL210c3RhbmRhcmQuY29tL29waW5pb24vY29sdW1uaXN0cy9ndWVzdC12aWV3LXdlLXJlLW9uLXRoZS1oaWdod2F5LWZyb20tY29tZm9ydC10by9hcnRpY2xlXzYyYWRhODQxLTAxNGItNTIwNi1iNTViLWY0ZTU3M2M4MzUyZi5odG1s0gGPAWh0dHBzOi8vbXRzdGFuZGFyZC5jb20vb3Bpbmlvbi9jb2x1bW5pc3RzL2d1ZXN0LXZpZXctd2UtcmUtb24tdGhlLWhpZ2h3YXktZnJvbS1jb21mb3J0LXRvL2FydGljbGVfNjJhZGE4NDEtMDE0Yi01MjA2LWI1NWItZjRlNTczYzgzNTJmLmFtcC5odG1s?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen>
Ahead of recent climate talks in Madrid, United Nations chief Antonio Guterres encouraged major world economies to get more ambitious about cutting ...
Montana Standard
Yesterday

As Climate Change Worsens, A Cascade of Tipping Points Looms <https://news.google.com/articles/CBMiW2h0dHBzOi8vZTM2MC55YWxlLmVkdS9mZWF0dXJlcy9hcy1jbGltYXRlLWNoYW5nZXMtd29yc2Vucy1hLWNhc2NhZGUtb2YtdGlwcGluZy1wb2ludHMtbG9vbXPSAQA?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen>
New research warns that the earth may be approaching key tipping points, including the runaway loss of ice sheets, that could fundamentally disrupt the global ...
Yale Environment 360
16 days ago

Climate change is reaching a tipping point <https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEHbQP-RvAGBcm_aJ3JGb9h0qGAgEKg8IACoHCAow-4fWBzD4z0gw_fCpBg?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen>
Four years ago, it was Paris; for the next fortnight, it is Madrid. The scenery changes but the message does not: the world is running out of time to halt ...
Financial Times <https://news.google.com/publications/CAAqBwgKMPuH1gcw-M9I?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen>
19 days ago

Climate change driving entire planet to dangerous 'global tipping point‘ <https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEGV96STP-haO4PuKt1YJnKAqGQgEKhAIACoHCAowmrWECzDc_IADMJS5ngY?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen>
Scientists "don't think people realize how little time we have left,” to stop irreversible and disastrous changes to Earth's climate systems. But there is hope.
National Geographic <https://news.google.com/publications/CAAqBwgKMJq1hAsw3PyAAw?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen>
Last month

We may be closer than we thought to Earth’s dangerous tipping points <https://news.google.com/articles/CBMicWh0dHBzOi8vd3d3Lm5ld3NjaWVudGlzdC5jb20vYXJ0aWNsZS8yMjI0NTUyLXdlLW1heS1iZS1jbG9zZXItdGhhbi13ZS10aG91Z2h0LXRvLWVhcnRocy1kYW5nZXJvdXMtdGlwcGluZy1wb2ludHMv0gF1aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubmV3c2NpZW50aXN0LmNvbS9hcnRpY2xlLzIyMjQ1NTItd2UtbWF5LWJlLWNsb3Nlci10aGFuLXdlLXRob3VnaHQtdG8tZWFydGhzLWRhbmdlcm91cy10aXBwaW5nLXBvaW50cy9hbXAv?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen>
Earth's climate may change far more abruptly and dramatically than we thought. Regions of the planet that are thousands of kilometres apart may influence each ...
New Scientist
Last month

Climate Change: Are we passing some key 'tipping points'? <https://news.google.com/articles/CBMiXWh0dHBzOi8vd3d3LmNhcmJvbmJyaWVmLm9yZy9kYWlseS1icmllZi9jbGltYXRlLWNoYW5nZS1hcmUtd2UtcGFzc2luZy1zb21lLWtleS10aXBwaW5nLXBvaW50c9IBAA?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen>
Climate Change: Are we passing some key 'tipping points'?. There is growing evidence that “irreversible climatic changes could be triggered within a few ...
Carbon Brief
Last month

We’re getting dangerously close to climate tipping points <https://news.google.com/articles/CBMiQWh0dHBzOi8vd3d3LnptZXNjaWVuY2UuY29tL3NjaWVuY2UvcGxhbmV0LWNsaW1hdGUtdGlwcGluZy1wb2ludHMv0gFFaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuem1lc2NpZW5jZS5jb20vc2NpZW5jZS9wbGFuZXQtY2xpbWF0ZS10aXBwaW5nLXBvaW50cy9hbXAv?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen>
As global temperatures continue to rise, researchers and climate experts are starting to wonder how far the planet is from reaching climate tipping points.
ZME Science
Last month

“It’s time that everyone, from the humble homeowner to the highest levels of business and government, rethink their relationship with energy and take action.

"Relying on renewables alone won’t be enough.”

<<https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikehughes1/2019/08/02/climate-change-18-months-to-save-the-world/#166763c749bd>>

“Collective action works; we have proved that. But to change everything, we need everyone.

"Each and every one of us must participate in the climate resistance movement.”

Greta Thunberg, youth climate strike leader in Sweden.
Luisa Neubauer, German climate activist.
Angela Valenzuela, Fridays for Future in Santiago, Chile.

<<https://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/11/29/why-we-strike-again>>