[MCN] Consumerism, corrected? The Wall Street Journal : How Frugality Got Its Groove Back

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Sun Dec 22 09:34:52 EST 2019

The Wall Street Journal Dec. 17, 2019
JOURNAL REPORTS: DECADE IN REVIEW <https://www.wsj.com/news/types/journal-reports-decade-in-review?mod=bigtop-breadcrumb>
How Frugality Got Its Groove Back
In the past decade, being thrifty became conspicuous, extreme and maybe even kind of cool

By Bourree Lam
https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-frugality-got-its-groove-back-11576630808? <https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-frugality-got-its-groove-back-11576630808?>

This was the decade when being thrifty became socially acceptable.

You can see it in the Instagram photos of packed lunches, in the fascination and admiration of extreme savers, and in the proliferation of lifestyle gurus preaching less is more. You can see it in personal-finance experts focusing on smaller and smaller budget-line items, and in fintech startups designed to literally help people save their pennies.

SUBSCRIPTION REQUIRED TO READ THE FULL STORY

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-frugality-got-its-groove-back-11576630808? <https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-frugality-got-its-groove-back-11576630808?>

“It’s time that everyone, from the humble homeowner to the highest levels of business and government, rethink their relationship with energy and take action.

"Relying on renewables alone won’t be enough.”

<<https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikehughes1/2019/08/02/climate-change-18-months-to-save-the-world/#166763c749bd>>

“Collective action works; we have proved that. But to change everything, we need everyone.

"Each and every one of us must participate in the climate resistance movement.”

Greta Thunberg, youth climate strike leader in Sweden.
Luisa Neubauer, German climate activist.
Angela Valenzuela, Fridays for Future in Santiago, Chile.

<<https://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/11/29/why-we-strike-again>>