[MCN] Electric vehicles lose capacity in extreme cold, and when heat reaches 95F and above

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Sun Feb 17 09:21:26 EST 2019

Extreme weather is sucking the life from your electric car <https://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa=t&url=https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/10/18217041/electric-car-ev-extreme-weather-polar-vortex&ct=ga&cd=CAEYBioTNjIwMTkyMDU0MjU5NzM1OTA4NTIaYWJkMGVmMWVmZTRkNWE4NTpjb206ZW46VVM&usg=AFQjCNFa8dHotzpiJ3NaOTunnVsEi91X6g>
The Verge <>
https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/10/18217041/electric-car-ev-extreme-weather-polar-vortex <https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/10/18217041/electric-car-ev-extreme-weather-polar-vortex>

 <>
Excerpt
 “As long as drivers understand that there are limitations when operating electric vehicles in more extreme climates, they are less likely to be caught off guard by an unexpected drop in driving range.”

EV owners discovered this during the recent cold snap that hit central US and Canada. As temperatures plunged, owners of Chevy Bolts and Tesla Model 3s told CNBC <https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/05/tesla-jaguar-and-nissan-evs-lose-power-in-freezing-temps-.html> they were seeing at most 50 percent less range in their vehicles.

Extreme heat is also a drag on electric vehicles. When outside temperatures heat up to 95 degrees Fahrenheit and air conditioning is used inside the vehicle, driving ranges can decrease by 17 percent, AAA reports. Extreme temperatures certainly play a role in diminishing driving range, but the use of the vehicle’s heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) system in these conditions — particularly the heat — has by far the greatest effect.

“If the GND’s ambition is a testament to anything, it is that there are no easy solutions here. We have built our standard of living on forms of energy that we now know pose a threat to our very existence. That is a simple summation of a monumental challenge; one where time has eroded our margin for incremental action. No matter what you think of the specifics, or lack of them, this is a conversation that is long overdue — and necessarily begins with a shout, not a whisper.”

The Green New Deal Is Unrealistic? Get Real

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2019-02-11/the-green-new-deal-is-unrealistic-get-real