[MCN] UM study adds confirmation: Valley floor forests might not come back after fires

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Tue Mar 12 15:29:02 EDT 2019

Public Release: 12-Mar-2019
UM study suggests climate change limits forest recovery after wildfires
THE UNIVERSITY OF MONTANA
New University of Montana research suggests climate change makes it increasingly difficult for tree seedlings to regenerate following wildfires in low-elevation forests, which could contribute to abrupt forest loss.

JOURNAL
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences
 <https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2019-03/tuom-uss031219.php>Full release. https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2019-03/tuom-uss031219.php
"No one wanted to pay attention to the implications of a world four degrees warmer… It's too horrendous to think about.  And no one talked about it. Then a few scientists said let's have a conference and actually talk about it. They held this conference in Oxford and I went along. As the conference started, there was a kind of suppressed emotional intensity, except in the coffee breaks. It was then that I would buttonhole a couple of scientists and say: 'Well, you know we're speculating about this. But what do you really think is the situation?' And one of them just looked at me and said: 'We're f--ked.'" — Clive Hamilton

Paul Kennedy. Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. Thursday September 07, 2017
http://www.cbc.ca/radio/ideas/are-we-f-ked-decoding-the-resistance-to-climate-change-1.4277614