[MCN] For Immediate Release

Jeannette Rankin Peace Center peace at jrpc.org
Wed May 1 17:39:41 EDT 2019

May 1, 2019

*FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE*

*Jeannette Rankin Peace Center Celebrates National Day of Decency **in
Missoula May 14*

Contact: Betsy Mulligan-Dague, peace at jrpc.org or 406-274-6171

The Jeannette Rankin Peace Center (JRPC) announces two community events in
observance of National Decency Day on May 14, 2019.

·       Monday, May 13, 7 pm in City Council Chambers, 140 West Pine St.:
 Mayor John Engen will issue a proclamation recognizing May 14 as Day of
Decency in Missoula, in conjunction with National Decency Day.

·       Tuesday May 14, 12 noon at Imagine Nation Brewing Company, 1151
West Broadway: The Jeannette Rankin Peace Center and Mayor Engen invite the
public to “a decent lunch.” Attendees may bring lunch or purchase one from
the Arabian Food Truck at the brewery.  According to a joint statement from
Mayor Engen and JRPC Executive Director Betsy Mulligan-Dague, the purpose
of the lunch is “to stand together with our neighbors to celebrate and
commit to acting and promoting decency in our community through both
conversations and actions. Through our local commitment to civil discourse
and respect along with other local initiatives it is hoped that the concept
of decency can grow on a national scale.”

The Jeannette Rankin Peace Center will distribute buttons and stickers at
both events “to serve as reminders of the basic standard of civility that
every American deserves, regardless of personal, religious or political
opinions,” the joint statement from the mayor’s office and JRPC  reads.

National Decency Day is the brainchild of New York’s Lisa Cholnoky, a
private citizen.  In 2017, Republican U.S. Rep. Lee Zeldin (NY-1) delivered
a speech on the floor of the U.S. House of Representatives to bring
awareness to Cholnoky’s "Campaign for Decency.  That speech started a
movement to encourage people to focus on “decency in the way we interact
with each other,” Cholnoky said. “Civil discourse is facing some of its
biggest challenges today.  People are afraid to express themselves without
conversations becoming arguments, or worse yet, they are not bothering to
talk at all. Most aren't even listening. We know that at the root of
understanding each other starts with a commitment to decency. Whether in
our local or national discourse, reminding each other of the importance of
civil discussion and shared purpose – no matter our differences of opinion
– is a fundamental right that each of us can contribute.”

On May 14, events will take place in more  than 15 states, aimed at
inspiring decency in everyday life,  conversations and actions.

Other Localities Participating:

East High School - Alaska

Watermark Communities - Arizona

Rampart High School - Colorado

Greenwich Academy, The Hotchkiss School - Connecticut

Tower Hill School - Delaware

Suncoast Elementary - Florida

Punahou - Hawaii

Cary Town - Mississippi

Nashua High School - New Hampshire

Tinton Falls - New Jersey

Shelter Island Union Free School District - New York

The Meadows School - Nevada

Davidson College - North Carolina

Governor’s Proclamation - State of Arkansas

Governor’s Proclamation - State of Connecticut

Missoula Proclamation attached

For more information, visit www.decency.today

Betsy Mulligan-Dague, Executive Director
Jeannette Rankin Peace Center
...working to build a world that is nonviolent, socially just and
environmentally sustainable...
519 S. Higgins
Missoula, MT 59801
Phone: 406-543-3955