[MCN] Maturing our way out of unsustainability requires "transformative" changes

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Tue Oct 15 13:37:14 EDT 2019

Ecological Economics <https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/09218009> Volume 167 <https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/09218009/167/supp/C>, January 2020
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolecon.2019.106435 <https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolecon.2019.106435>

Analysis
Learning to change: Transformative knowledge for building a sustainable bioeconomy

SophieUrmetzeraJanLaskbRicardoVargas-CarpinterobAndreasPykaa <https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0921800919301685#!>

Highlights

•A transformation to a sustainable bioeconomy requires transformative knowledge.
•Academic bioeconomy programs in Europe teach communication and participation skills.
•The role of governance for the bioeconomy must become clearer in the curricula.
•Personal reflection deserves more attention in the education of bioeconomists.

Abstract [ open access  ]

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0921800919301685 <https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0921800919301685>
The transition towards a bioeconomy is considered a powerful approach to combating current trends of unsustainability. To date, the concept has been widely perceived as a predominantly technical endeavor. This is, however, not sufficient and will not really tackle the global sustainability challenges. Therefore, the imparting of technological knowledge must be accompanied by instruction in other types of knowledge, particularly transformative knowledge. The authors explore the various elements of transformative knowledge necessary to equip the protagonists of a bioeconomy transformation. On this basis, four academic bioeconomy programs across Europe are analyzed using a hybrid methodological approach, combining a keyword-based content analysis of the module descriptions with semi-structured interviews of key representatives of the programs. It is shown that the syllabi of all four programs include important elements of transformative knowledge, such as communication, participation, and decision making skills. Skills related to the ability to revise and reflect personal values, in contrast, are mainly only an implicit part of the program. The study applies insights into education for sustainable development to the requirements of a fundamental transformation towards a sustainable bioeconomy. It offers a first appraisal of the consideration transformative knowledge is given in the design of European academic bioeconomy curricula.

Greta Thunberg boils the basics down to just 5 words: “… and it will get worse”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhQVustYV24 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhQVustYV24>

Climate scientists had made the same point; e.g., ….

Camilo Mora: “ ….  our choices for deadly heat are now between more of it or a lot more of it.”
https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/abs/10.1161/circoutcomes.117.004233 <https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/abs/10.1161/circoutcomes.117.004233>

Michael Mann: ““A new normal makes it sound like we have arrived in a new position, and that's where we're going to be. But if we continue to burn fossil fuels ... we are going to ... get worse and worse droughts, and heat waves, and super storms, and floods, and wildfires.”
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/climate-change-is-making-wildfires-more-extreme-heres-how <https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/climate-change-is-making-wildfires-more-extreme-heres-how>

Kate Marvel: “The whole idea that everything’s going to work out isn’t really helpful because it isn’t going to work out ” said Kate Marvel a climate scientist at the NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies. Climate change is going to worsen to a point where millions of lives, homes, and species are put at risk she said.
https://newrepublic.com/article/151608/case-against-climate-pessimism <https://newrepublic.com/article/151608/case-against-climate-pessimism>

My own view: <<https://mountainjournal.org/why-rising-temps-mean-the-end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it>>