[MCN] Thunberg : the young have just begun to learn how dangerous their situation is

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Mon Oct 21 21:47:34 EDT 2019

Daily Show Noah Trevor host asked Greta Thunberg why young people are more concerned about the climate crisis than older generations.

She said the young see it as a more “direct threat,” while others say “I won’t be alive then, so screw it.”

Plausibly including young and old alike, she went on to say, “ …  the awareness is still not as it needs to be,” and that people “... don’t understand how severe this crisis actually is.”

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/ed6ma7/the-daily-show-with-trevor-noah-greta-thunberg---inspiring-others-to-take-a-stand-against-climate-change—-extended-interview <http://www.cc.com/video-clips/ed6ma7/the-daily-show-with-trevor-noah-greta-thunberg---inspiring-others-to-take-a-stand-against-climate-change%E2%80%94-extended-interview>

”Precipitation is just the supply side," said study coauthor Jason Smerdon, a Lamont-Doherty paleoclimatologist. "Temperature is on the demand side, the part that dries things out."

"If we don't see it coming in stronger in, say, the next 10 years, we might have to wonder whether we are right," said Marvel. "But all the models are projecting that you should see unprecedented drying soon, in a lot of places."

Precipitation over much of central America, Mexico the central and western United States and Europe is projected to stay about the same, or even increase. But, according to both the new study and a separate 2018 paper, rising temperatures and resulting evaporation of moisture from soils in those regions will probably predominate.

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2019-05/eiac-ssf042919.php <https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2019-05/eiac-ssf042919.php>