[MCN] Getting serious climate law depends on action from the bottom up

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Mon Sep 2 14:09:37 EDT 2019

Closing paragraph : What will it take to get serious climate legislation passed? The New Yorker’s John Cassidy <https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/john-cassidy> posed that question to Carol Browner, who was the chief of the Environmental Protection Agency under President Bill Clinton and an adviser, known as the “climate czar,” to President Barack Obama. Yet neither of those Administrations managed to make any substantial dent in the climate crisis. Browner supports the Green New Deal, but she says that we shouldn’t depend on Congress to lead the way to serious climate reform. Grassroots organizing and appealing to industry leaders are crucial steps. “If you look at the long history of environmental protection in this country, what you will see is that people move forward, and then Congress follows, because you have to set a floor,” she says. “It may not ever be as much as we all hoped for, but it will be a step, and then we have to argue for more.”

https://www.newyorker.com/podcast/political-scene/two-perspectives-on-the-future-of-the-green-new-deal <https://www.newyorker.com/podcast/political-scene/two-perspectives-on-the-future-of-the-green-new-deal>

"Ignorance of remote causes disposeth men to attribute all events to the causes immediate and instrumental: for these are all the causes they perceive."

Thomas Hobbes,
Chapter XI. Of the Difference of Manners.
 <https://www.bartleby.com/34/5/11.html>
https://www.bartleby.com/34/5/11.html <https://www.bartleby.com/34/5/11.html>

Excerpt :
And the cause of this is not always that a man hopes for a more intensive delight than he has already attained to, or that he cannot be content with a moderate power; but because he cannot assure the power and means to live well which he hath present, without the acquisition of more.
“Here we discuss the capacity of conservation organizations to adapt to changing environmental conditions, focusing primarily on public agencies and nonprofits active in land protection and management in the US. After first reviewing how these organizations anticipate and detect impacts affecting target species and ecosystems, we then discuss whether they are sufficiently flexible to prepare and respond by reallocating funding, staff, or other resources. We raise new hypotheses about how the configuration of different organizations enables them to protect particular conservation targets and manage for particular biophysical changes that require coordinated management actions over different spatial and temporal scales. Finally, we provide a discussion resource to help conservation organizations assess their capacity to adapt.”

Paul R Armsworth et al. Are conservation organizations configured for effective adaptation to global change? Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 2015; doi:10.1890/130352

<<https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/99fb/7332339eba74185274972c8b31eb21ea116f.pdf <https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/99fb/7332339eba74185274972c8b31eb21ea116f.pdf>>>