[MCN] Friends of the Historical Museum at Fort Missoula becomes a member of the International Coalition of Sites of Conscience!

Jessie Rogers jrogers at missoulacounty.us
Wed Sep 11 18:22:16 EDT 2019

Friends of the Historical Museum at Fort Missoula becomes a member of the International Coalition of Sites of Conscience!

It is with great pleasure that we share The Historical Museum at Fort Missoula<https://www.facebook.com/historical.museum.at.fort.missoula/?__tn__=K-R&eid=ARAB6y0Y1PEonuoMYB0zJ3piWsDMmkGK_6jxoJRcaSbJnPSNQVnY-3kN3G0dIqmuy-VdLH47l2V5MR-U&fref=mentions&__xts__%5B0%5D=68.ARAGtjfjbC6ZVFLYn6zTQDdyg2YuofsW9ugXQQ747FMALF9tcvlD9WefUgA1MaW3OvYa3wchuMC7S_4GolK6UK-LnoW8vX1FMp5uQqAZyhToZWxaGZ2IPZvzzShkLNMgkueTipQgTuLm0HZ1TEyU0kJEV3967Fv-6ERQgE2YezH5LyTsgcDgAF3uT8tPG1zFYryOz0XM1kPLUoyWih5BSMZcrTrDtMktN2DUJMZ9_AkysG1RtrcPDDtqAkb2Sfkp8xmqXhG_aAIK9qFF4uErDvPragvKzs4Kz5FYOwXh290x8bWhf1oEi5-mEIcsSMh1DUHwLsu01tZnUBS1_PXb> has been welcomed as a member of the International Coalition of Sites of Conscience<https://www.facebook.com/SitesofConscience/?__tn__=K-R&eid=ARAkO0hMMDh4RkJcvuo1ABg-lR1iZ-QxU0ICozip4QzmA2GFaXwe3tKrE4MILNM67W6w7H06WNo_lw_E&fref=mentions&__xts__%5B0%5D=68.ARAGtjfjbC6ZVFLYn6zTQDdyg2YuofsW9ugXQQ747FMALF9tcvlD9WefUgA1MaW3OvYa3wchuMC7S_4GolK6UK-LnoW8vX1FMp5uQqAZyhToZWxaGZ2IPZvzzShkLNMgkueTipQgTuLm0HZ1TEyU0kJEV3967Fv-6ERQgE2YezH5LyTsgcDgAF3uT8tPG1zFYryOz0XM1kPLUoyWih5BSMZcrTrDtMktN2DUJMZ9_AkysG1RtrcPDDtqAkb2Sfkp8xmqXhG_aAIK9qFF4uErDvPragvKzs4Kz5FYOwXh290x8bWhf1oEi5-mEIcsSMh1DUHwLsu01tZnUBS1_PXb>!

A Site of Conscience is a place of memory - a museum, historic site, memorial or memory initiative - that confronts both the history of what happened there and its contemporary legacies.

Whether remembering an era centuries or decades ago, Sites of Conscience begin by facing all aspects of our history: stories of great cruelty, great courage or everyday life. Then they go a step further, activating the historical perspective with dynamic public dialogue on related issues we face today and what we can do about them.

Sites of Conscience are places that:
* Interpret history through site;
* Engage the public in programs that stimulate dialogue on pressing social issues;
* Share opportunities for public involvement and positive action on the issues raised at the site;
* Promote justice and universal cultures of human rights.

What Is the International Coalition of Sites of Conscience?

The International Coalition of Sites of Conscience is the only worldwide network dedicated to transforming places that preserve the past into spaces that promote civic action.
The Coalition recognizes that the power of sites of memory is not inherent; it must be harnessed as a deliberate tactic in the service of human rights and citizen engagement. This conscious effort to connect past to present and memory to action is the hallmark of the Sites of Conscience movement. As a network of more than 250 Sites of Conscience in 65 countries, we engage tens of millions of people every year in using the lessons of history to take action on challenges to democracy and human rights today. Through powerful participatory programs that bring people together across difference, we advocate for every community's right to preserve places where struggles for human rights and democracy have occurred, to talk openly about what happened there, and to harness the strengths of memory, heritage, arts and culture to build ethical societies that envision and shape a more just and humane future.

[cid:image001.png at 01D568BC.E82E0C90]

Jessie

Jessie Rogers
Development & Communications Director
Historical Museum at Fort Missoula
406-258-3479

"While we are living in the present, we must celebrate life every day, knowing that we are becoming history with every work, every action, every deed."  ---  Mattie Stepanek

Messages and attachments sent to or from this e-mail account may be considered public or private records depending on the message content. Unless otherwise exempted from the public records law, senders and receivers of County email should presume that the email are subject to release upon request. This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient of this transmission, please notify the sender immediately, do not forward the message to anyone, and delete all copies.