[MCN] Greta Thunberg's not alone in talking about hope and fairy tales, and she says the young are "starting"to understand what's ahead

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Tue Sep 24 14:11:59 EDT 2019

Excerpt : “The whole idea that everything’s going to work out isn’t really helpful because it isn’t going to work out ” said Kate Marvel a climate scientist at the NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies. Climate change is going to worsen to a point where millions of lives homes and species are put at risk she said. The only thing humans can do is decide how many lives, homes, and species they’re willing to lose due to climate change—how long they’re willing to allow their respective governments to stall on what we know to be technically achievable.

Action relies on courage not hope. “You shouldn’t need the guarantee of a happy ending to do what you know to be right ” Marvel said.

https://newrepublic.com/article/151608/case-against-climate-pessimism <https://newrepublic.com/article/151608/case-against-climate-pessimism>

"Our results indicate that future reductions in Arctic sea ice cover could significantly reduce available water in the American west...."

 Jacob O. Sewall and Lisa Cirbus Sloan. Disappearing Arctic sea ice reduces available water in the American west
GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH LETTERS VOL. 31, 2004