[MCN] FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Habitat for Humanity of Missoula announces "30 by '30" campaign

Abby Lynes impact at habitatmsla.org
Wed Dec 9 10:00:00 EST 2020

For Immediate Release

Contact: Abby Lynes, Impact & Engagement Director

Email: impact at habitatmsla.org

Office: 406-549-8210

Cell: 406-403-2429

A new vision: Habitat for Humanity of Missoula announces bold campaign to
build more homes

Habitat plans on building 30 houses a year by 2030

As Habitat for Humanity of Missoula nears its 30th anniversary as an
organization, the nonprofit has big plans in store.

Called “30 by ’30,” Habitat recently launched a campaign to build 30 homes
a year by 2030. Currently, it builds two homes a year, and next year, it
will increase its capacity by 50% to build three. While the 10-year plan
may be ambitious, Executive Director Heather Harp said it’s necessary.

“We will take a concerted effort across all sectors to build more homes
that are affordable for folks.  We know we can build homes for $150,000,
enabling our neighbors earning $15/hour a chance at home ownership that
remains at 30% of their income,” she said.

The need for this work is immense. A report put out by the Missoula
Organization of Realtors estimates that Missoula needs over 800 new housing
units a year to keep up with the pace of its growth. As it stands, only
about 500 units are being built. Habitat sees an opportunity to help fill
the gap by building 30 homes a year, or 10% of the deficit.

“In tackling the issue of affordable housing, we can’t rely on the
government sector alone, nor the market sector,” she said. “Nonprofits are
an important part of the solution.”

Habitat is well-positioned to play a role in building more affordable homes
in Missoula. Through unique financing methods, land donation, grants and
philanthropy, the organization is ready to create more housing than ever
before.

“We envision a Missoula where everyone has a place to sleep at night, and
where buying a decent, affordable home is an attainable goal for families.
With partnership, collaboration and the support of our community, we know
we can work toward making that vision more of a reality,” Impact &
Engagement Director Abby Lynes said.

###

About Habitat for Humanity Missoula: Since 1991 Habitat has created decent,
affordable  homes alongside local families earning 40 to 80% of the median
area income. These homes are then sold to the families who helped construct
them through a unique program to keep payments within the family’s means.
This process, called Habitat’s 30-30-0-250 mortgage program, allows
families to purchase a 30-year mortgage, with payments set at 30% of their
income, zero interest, and the contribution of 250 hours of “sweat equity”
work as the home is built.

This year Habitat is constructing two homes, the organization’s 58th and
59th in Missoula County, alongside the Lumona family of six and the Grados
family of three. The Lumona family home is also Habitat’s 9th in the
Franklin to the Fort neighborhood while the Grados family home is Habitat’s
first in East Missoula.

Habitat for Humanity of Missoula’s office and retail location, the Habitat
ReStore, are located at 3655 MT Highway 200 East, Missoula, MT 59802. For
more information, call 549-8210 or visit www.habitatmsla.org

*Abby Lynes*
Impact & Engagement Director - Habitat for Humanity of Missoula