[MCN] Former UN Climate Chief Calls For Civil Disobedience, endorses Extinction Rebellion and Greta Thunberg.

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Thu Feb 27 16:02:10 EST 2020

Former UN Climate Chief Calls For Civil Disobedience <https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEC4uyn5tRXr4VxDMkpnOZS0qFQgEKg0IACoGCAowrqkBMKBFMMGBAg?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen>
… the woman who led the negotiations for the Paris Agreement calls for civil disobedience to force institutions to respond to the climate ...
Forbes <https://news.google.com/publications/CAAqBggKMK6pATCgRQ?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen>
A few days ago

Excerpt : “It’s time to participate in non-violent political movements wherever possible,” Christiana Figueres writes in “The Future We Choose: Surviving the Climate Crisis <https://www.amazon.com/Future-We-Choose-Surviving-Climate/dp/0525658351/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=The+future+we+choose+surviving+the+climate+crisis&qid=1581711488&sr=8-1/?&camp=213293&linkCode=wsw&tag=contrary-20&creative=388405>,” which will be released tomorrow by Knopf.
Figueres served as executive secretary of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) from 2010-16. She co-authored the book with her strategic advisor, Tom Rivett-Carnac. The two also support voting:

“Large numbers of people must vote on climate change as their number one priority,” they write. “As we are in the midst of the most dire emergency, we must urgently demand that those who seek high office offer solutions commensurate with the scale of the problem.”

But they note that electoral politics have failed to meet the challenge, largely because of systemic roadblocks including corporate lobbying and partisan opposition.

They endorse Extinction Rebellion and Greta Thunberg. They evoke legendary activists who effected change on the scale required by the climate crisis, including Gandhi, Martin Luther King Jr., and Nelson Mandela.

“Once confined to the margins, the ecological critique of economic growth has gained widespread attention. At a United Nations climate-change summit in September, the teen-age Swedish environmental activist Greta Thunberg declared, ‘We are in the beginning of a mass extinction, and all you can talk about is money and fairy tales of eternal economic growth. How dare you!’ ”

<<https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/02/10/can-we-have-prosperity-without-growth <https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/02/10/can-we-have-prosperity-without-growth>>>