[MCN] Could you live the 1.5° lifestyle?

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Wed Jan 1 17:46:56 EST 2020

Along with saying that politicians haven’t so far shown maturity enough to “tell it like it is,” Greta Thunberg has pointedly made direct reference to “the way we live” in wealthier countries, saying “everyone and everything has to change,” — i.e., every one individual has a role to play in cranking down the level of crisis.

Now this highly similar view

Could you live the 1.5° lifestyle?
Lloyd Alter <https://www.treehugger.com/author/lloyd-alter/> January 1, 2020
<<https://www.treehugger.com/climate-change/get-ready-15-lifestyle-could-you.html <https://www.treehugger.com/climate-change/get-ready-15-lifestyle-could-you.html>>>

Excerpts : It is too easy and simplistic to blame the building industry, the power companies and the oil industry, when we are buying what they are selling.

Instead, we should be sending up some signals.

We really have no choice. As we have noted many times recently, we have to cut our carbon footprint in half if we have a hope of keeping global heating below 1.5 degrees. And we don't have until 2030; we have to start reducing our emissions right now.

If you divvy up the carbon budget by population, we pretty much have to reduce our per capita emissions of Carbon dioxide to 2.5 tonnes per person.

Nobody is going to do that through efficiency gains alone; we have to change the way we live. [ bold emphasis added ]

Every year about this time I start teaching Sustainable Design at Ryerson University School of Interior Design in Toronto. I used to just talk about green building, the usual stuff about insulation, healthy materials, water. But I quickly realized that this doesn't really move the needle very much....

 It became clear to me that you cannot discuss sustainable design without discussing sustainable lifestyles. It does not exist in isolation.

End of excerpt

Could you live the 1.5° lifestyle?

Lloyd Alter <https://www.treehugger.com/author/lloyd-alter/> January 1, 2020
<<https://www.treehugger.com/climate-change/get-ready-15-lifestyle-could-you.html <https://www.treehugger.com/climate-change/get-ready-15-lifestyle-could-you.html>>>

Lifestyles - IPCC - Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change <https://www.ipcc.ch/ipccreports/tar/wg3/index.php?idp=413>
There are two reasons why lifestyles are an issue of climate policy. First, consumption patterns are an important factor in climate change since they have become ...

Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change - IPCC <https://www.ipcc.ch/ipccreports/tar/wg3/index.php?idp=61>
1.4 Global Sustainability and Climate Change Mitigation ... the unsustainable lifestyles and patterns of production and consumption, and explores a broad range ...

[PDF]
Report - IPCC - Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change <https://report.ipcc.ch/sr15/pdf/sr15_spm_final.pdf>
Hydrological Institute (SMHI), Sweden; the Ministry of Environment Natural . ...... lifestyles, including high demand for

Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change - IPCC <http://www.ipcc.ch/ipccreports/tar/wg3/index.php?idp=48>
Setting the Stage: Climate Change and Sustainable Development Contents ... 1.2.2 The Costs of Climate Change Mitigation ... 1.4.3.3 “Appropriate” Lifestyles

Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change - IPCC <http://ipcc.ch/ipccreports/tar/wg2/index.php?idp=350>
Today, as the scale of human impact on the environment increases, a range of ... that are exposed to changes in lifestyle and environmental and occupational ...

Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change - IPCC <https://www.ipcc.ch/ipccreports/tar/wg3/index.php?idp=415>
Environmental education could be more effective than it has proved so far if it recognized that human behaviour hinges on lifestyle or self-awareness.

Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change - IPCC <https://www.ipcc.ch/ipccreports/tar/wg2/index.php?idp=441>
... among other factors, demographic changes, urbanization and industrial development, trade and transport demands, and lifestyle changes, the coastal zones ...

Topic 2: Future changes, risks and impacts — IPCC <https://ar5-syr.ipcc.ch/topic_futurechanges.php>
https://ar5-syr.ipcc.ch › topic_futurechanges <https://ar5-syr.ipcc.ch/topic_futurechanges.php>
Topic 2 assesses projections of future climate change and the resulting risks and ... population growth, lifestyle and behavioural changes, associated changes in ...

What the new report on climate change expects from you - CNN <https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/08/world/ipcc-climate-change-consumer-actions-intl/index.html>
https://www.cnn.com › world › ipcc-climate-change-consumer-actions-intl <https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/08/world/ipcc-climate-change-consumer-actions-intl/index.html>
Oct 8, 2018 - A stark new report from the global scientific authority on climate ... But to do that, the UN's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) says, would ... change their lifestyle and consumption patterns to more sustainable ...