[MCN] Theme of 50th Anniversary of Earth Day : Getting action on climate crisis : Earth Day Network has more than 75, 000 partners in over 190 countries

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Mon Jan 13 13:59:00 EST 2020

 <https://blogs.agu.org/geoedtrek>
HOME
 <https://blogs.agu.org/geoedtrek/>ABOUT LAURA
 <https://blogs.agu.org/geoedtrek/about-laura/>COMMENT POLICY
 <https://blogs.agu.org/geoedtrek/comment-policy/>CONTACT
 <https://blogs.agu.org/geoedtrek/contact/>

JANUARY 13, 2020
Start planning for Earth Day’s 50th anniversary <https://blogs.agu.org/geoedtrek/2020/01/13/earth-day-50th/>
Posted by Laura Guertin <https://blogs.agu.org/geoedtrek/author/drlauraguertin/>
Excerpt :

The theme of Earth Day 2020 is climate action.

The enormous challenges — but also the vast opportunities — of acting on climate change have distinguished the issue as the most pressing topic for the 50th anniversary. Climate change represents the biggest challenge to the future of humanity and the life-support systems that make our world habitable.

At the end of 2020, nations will be expected to increase their national commitments to the 2015 Paris Agreement on climate change. The time is now for citizens to call for greater global ambition to tackle our climate crisis. Unless every country in the world steps up – and steps up with urgency and ambition — we are consigning current and future generations to a dangerous future.

Earth Day 2020 will be far more than a day. It must be a historic moment when citizens of the world rise up in a united call for the creativity, innovation, ambition, and bravery that we need to meet our climate crisis and seize the enormous opportunities of a zero-carbon future.  —  https://www.earthday.org/earth-day-2020/
So how will you encourage and mobilize your students, campus and community to take climate action?

On my campus, myself and another faculty member are directing students to record and produce “50 Voices of Earth Day <https://sites.psu.edu/psubwearthday/>” with interviews of 50 students, faculty, staff, and alumni on their views of Planet Earth. We’ll be releasing one podcast a day when we start the 50-day countdown to Earth Day.

Whatever you decide to do, make sure this day (Wednesday, April 22, 2020) is not missed on your calendar!

—————————————————————————————————————--------------------------------
“Consumer expectations of ever-higher living standards were fuelled by more lenient and readily available bank lending ….
Social status and identity became closely associated with consumption, in particular with the concept of luxury.

"Identifying oneself with the good life meant being able to live beyond traditional understandings of basic needs. Debt was the price
one paid for the joys of being part of a hedonistic consumer culture.”

Kenneth Dyson. The Morality of Debt. Foreign Affairs. May 3, 2015

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/2015-05-03/morality-debt <https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/2015-05-03/morality-debt>

Despite recognizing the downsides of debt, the lure of spending remains strong.  After covering off on necessities, Americans said 40%
of their monthly income goes toward discretionary spending on entertainment, leisure travel, hobbies, etc. In fact, when asked what
financial pitfalls they are prone to, one quarter of Americans flagged “excessive/frivolous” spending.

https://www.northwesternmutual.com/about-us/studies/planning-and-progress-study-2017