[MCN] Historical Museum at Fort Missoula Joins the Japanese American Memorial Pilgrimages (JAMP) & the National Park Service’s 9-week Virtual Community Pilgrimage: Tadaima!

Jessie Rogers jrogers at missoulacounty.us
Wed Jun 17 18:00:41 EDT 2020

[cid:image002.jpg at 01D644C0.726E5010]

Historical Museum at Fort Missoula Joins the Japanese American Memorial Pilgrimages (JAMP) & the National Park Service’s 9-week Virtual Community Pilgrimage: Tadaima!
Release Date: 6/17/2020
We are very honored to announce The Historical Museum at Fort Missoula is part of the Japanese American Memorial Pilgrimages (JAMP) 9-week, Tadaima! A Community Virtual Pilgrimage event.
Each year, pilgrimages take place across the United States at the various War Relocation Authority Sites that incarcerated over 120,000 Japanese American’s during WWII. In the midst of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, each of the annual pilgrimages to sites of wartime Japanese American incarceration have been canceled. These pilgrimages provide important educational and community-building opportunities for descendants of the camps, the Japanese American community, and the wider public.
Spread across nine themed weeks, "Tadaima!" will feature pre-recorded and live-streamed content, as well as opportunities to engage with presenters and gather, virtually, as a community. Each week will focus on a theme, from immigration in the 1800s to redress in the 1980s. In addition to the ten War Relocation Authority sites, the virtual pilgrimage will also explore the incarceration of the Japanese diaspora under different types of detention in the United States, Canada, and across the world.
Recognizing the ongoing significance of these pilgrimages, we are excited to invite you to: Tadaima! A Community Virtual Pilgrimage, which will take place from June 13th – August 16th, hosted on the Japanese American Memorial Pilgrimages (JAMP) website
Register today. www.jampilgrimages.com<http://www.jampilgrimages.com> Registration is free and open to the public. Tune in on your own schedule to watch, listen, and learn.
Pilgrimage schedule

  *   Week 1 - June 14 - 20: Immigration & Settlement
  *   Week 2 - June 21 - 27: Pre-war & Forced Removal
  *   Week 3, June 28 - July 4: Sites of Incarceration
  *   Week 4 - July 5 - 11: A Question of Loyalty
     *   The Historical Museum will be sharing our award-winning documentary, An Alien Place, and virtual tours of the Alien Detention Center grounds, including WWII Barracks, Loyalty Hearing Courtroom, Detention Camp exhibit, and much more.
  *   Week 5 - July 12 - 18: What is Citizenship
  *   Week 6 - July 19 - 25: Resettlement
  *   Week 7 - July 26 - Aug 1: Nikkei Incarceration Abroad
  *   Week 8 - Aug 2 - 8: End of War to Redress
  *   Week 9 - Aug 9 - 15: Reconciliation & Identity
  *   Aug 16: Closing Ceremony
This robust program is a collaborative effort between 40 Japanese American organizations nationwide, as well as international partners, and other institutions. The Historical Museum at Fort Missoula is honored to be part of the Tadaima Virtual pilgrimage and to bring awareness to this part of our shared history to the wider world.
This pilgrimage is unique in its endeavor to connect such a widespread coalition to the Japanese community, and will provide a space for scholars, artists, educators, and other representatives to collaborate in deepening the understanding of the Japanese American incarceration experience. We invite the general public to participate in this community driven event and look forward to sharing this historic experience with all participants!
Fort Missoula as a DOJ Center during WWII
During World War II, Fort Missoula was turned over to the Department of Justice, Immigration and Naturalization Service, for use as an Alien Detention Center. Between 1941 and 1944, the ADC held 1,200 non-military Italian men, 1,000 Japanese resident aliens, 23 German resident aliens, and 123 Japanese Latin and South Americans.
Fort Missoula’s ADC was established to hold foreign nationals and resident aliens, to distinguish it from the 10 better known War Relocation Act camps that held 120,000 Japanese Americans.
Fort Missoula is currently the largest intact WWII internment site with most major buildings of the era still in use, including the Post Headquarters with its courtroom, the hospital, commissary, officer and staff housing, barracks and other support structures. The Historical Museum has an exhibit on internment housed in an original barrack and is working on restoring the rest of the Post Headquarters building and two WWII era barracks.
To learn more about the weekly themes and to see a broad outline of the calendar, visit the Japanese American Memorial Pilgrimages website (www.jampilgrimages.com<http://www.jampilgrimages.com>) or their Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/JAMPilgrimages/). Registration is OPEN!
"Tadaima!" ~ "I'm home!" in Japanese Tadaima is a way of acknowledging that we are all home right now and the important reasons for why that is, while also celebrating the history, diversity, strength, and vibrancy of the Nikkei community.
Contact Matt Lautzenheiser at mlautzenheiser at missoulacounty.us<mailto:mlautzenheiser at missoulacounty.us> or 406-258-3471 for more information.

Jessie Rogers
Development & Communications Director
Historical Museum at Fort Missoula
406-258-3479
Cell: 406-240-3967

“While we are living in the present, we must celebrate life every day, knowing that we are becoming history with every work, every action, every deed.”  ---  Mattie Stepanek

Messages and attachments sent to or from this e-mail account may be considered public or private records depending on the message content. Unless otherwise exempted from the public records law, senders and receivers of County email should presume that the emails are subject to release upon request. This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient of this transmission, please notify the sender immediately, do not forward the message to anyone, and delete all copies.