[MCN] For Immediate Release - Historical Museum has temporarily suspended collections donations

Jessie Rogers jrogers at missoulacounty.us
Mon Jun 29 16:59:10 EDT 2020

Due to the pandemic and an underway assessment of our collection storage, the Historical Museum at Fort Missoula has placed a temporary collections donation moratorium
[cid:image002.jpg at 01D64E25.D7123720]

Hello Friends,

Due to the pandemic and that we are currently in the process of a collections storage assessment through the American Association of Museums, the Historical Museum at Fort Missoula is temporarily suspending all donations to the permanent collection at this time. We will re-evaluate the situation in September. Thank you for your understanding during this time.

The reasoning behind this decision is three-fold:

  1.  To minimize interactions between staff and the public.
  2.  Due to restrictions on volunteer hours, we have an absence of the needed volunteers and interns who assist the staff in processing incoming donations.
  3.  The overwhelming generosity of the community over the last few years (we have added almost 7,000 artifacts of all types to the collection since Jan. 1, 2017) has led to a shortage in storage space.
     *   Some breathing room will allow staff time to reorganize current storage spaces to create room for more artifacts.
Please help us get the word out on the moratorium and check our website or Facebook page for updates on the status of donations. If you have any questions please contact Ted Hughes at 406-258-3472 or thughes at missoulacounty.us<mailto:thughes at missoulacounty.us>.
Thank you for supporting the Historical Museum and trusting us to preserve the material treasures of our state's history. We look forward to sharing the stories of our past with you again soon.

Sincerely,
Ted Hughes, Curator of Collections

Jessie Rogers
Development & Communications Director
The Historical Museum at Fort Missoula

"Do your little bit of good where you are; it's those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world."
-Desmond Tutu

Messages and attachments sent to or from this e-mail account may be considered public or private records depending on the message content. Unless otherwise exempted from the public records law, senders and receivers of County email should presume that the emails are subject to release upon request. This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient of this transmission, please notify the sender immediately, do not forward the message to anyone, and delete all copies.