[MCN] "I can't breathe" -- if ocean fish could speak- How Lance Olsen got it wrong

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Thu Jun 18 10:40:24 EDT 2020

Hi Trevor

First, for a variety of reasons, I will be sharply reducing the number of my posts to Missoula Community News

And I get what Annie said, and have no problem with Annie, and understand why she — and you — are outraged by my post “I can’t breathe” — if ocean fish could speak

I decided not to get into a debate about it on MCN, but I did tell Annie that my post came from an old and well-known story about rising ocean heat.

I told her that, as the ocean warms up, fish need more of its oxygen. Trouble is, as water warms, it loses oxygen.

The result, as a fisheries scientist put it some years ago, is suffocation.

I had that suffocation very much in mind when posting "I can't breathe" -- if ocean fish could speak. It seemed appropriate.

And I assumed it was an everybody-knows-it kind of thing

Annie had and has no way to know how much I share her outrage over the entrenched, systematic racism behind the violence including police murder of George Floyd and many others of many skin colors. But she can tell you that I told her my opinion that the fossil fuel industry has its knees on all our necks