[MCN] "I can't breathe" -- if ocean fish could speak

Trevor Lowell trevorlowell at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 10:09:30 EDT 2020

*Disclaimer: These are my opinions

Patty, you have demonstrated the common logical fallacy known as "tu
quoque" where instead of engaging with the important critique offered by
Annie, you have diverted attention, quite sarcastically, to her presumed
personal faults. Made more interesting by the fact that you readily admit
you don't know her. I would hope that you would agree that the fact we are
all fallible does not invalidate our opinions.

You may see Lance's rhetoric as a lapse of judgement, but I see it as
something much more problematic and I am grateful that Annie spoke out
against it. Appropriating the dying words of black men murdered by police,
words that are uniting people across the world against police violence and
systemic racism, in an attempt to garner attention for an email that has
nothing to do with police violence or systemic racism, is harmful and
reductive. For Lance to double down in the face of that criticism by
leveraging George Floyd's death as a rhetorical device is wholly
inappropriate.

Lance, I appreciate your passion and continued efforts to educate people
about important environmental issues. You are of course free to send as
many emails as you wish, but for what it's worth, I find the rate and
volume of your posts causes me to ignore them. You have accounted for 70%
of the emails sent through MCN in the last month. The information you share
is important and valuable for many but perhaps this is an opportunity to
rethink the efficacy of your approach. Or perhaps there are others that
feel similarly to Patty and would be willing to offer their thoughts.

Above all I hope this is an opportunity to consider how we can best engage
with and support critical efforts to address racial inequities and violence
. It is by no means easy or comfortable but I can think of few things more
important right now.

Respectfully,

Trevor