[MCN] CO2 is essential to life of trees, and our added CO2 is too much of a good thing

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Mon Apr 5 09:09:51 EDT 2021

Trees That Live Fast, Die Young, and Mess with Climate ... <https://eos.org/articles/trees-that-live-fast-die-young-and-mess-with-climate-models>
https://eos.org › News Articles <https://eos.org/articles/trees-that-live-fast-die-young-and-mess-with-climate-models>

Jan 27, 2021 — This process, which scientists call CO2 fertilization, can accelerate tree growth, with more carbon available in the atmosphere (especially under ...

But climate change might be making them live fast and die young. A new international study found that trees are growing faster and dying off earlier, which sets back their capacity to store carbon emissions, according to a new study published last week in Nature Communications.Sep 16, 2020
 <https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/trees-are-growing-fast-and-dying-young-due-climate-change-180975819/#:~:text=But%20climate%20change%20might%20be,last%20week%20in%20Nature%20Communications.>
Trees Are Growing Fast and Dying Young Due to Climate ... <https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/trees-are-growing-fast-and-dying-young-due-climate-change-180975819/#:~:text=But%20climate%20change%20might%20be,last%20week%20in%20Nature%20Communications.>
https://www.smithsonianmag.com › smart-news › trees-are... <https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/trees-are-growing-fast-and-dying-young-due-climate-change-180975819/#:~:text=But%20climate%20change%20might%20be,last%20week%20in%20Nature%20Communications.>

 <https://www.sciencenewsforstudents.org/article/faster-tree-growth-younger-death>
The faster trees grow, the younger they die | Science News for Students… <https://www.sciencenewsforstudents.org/article/faster-tree-growth-younger-death>

Oct 20, 2020 — That makes trees an important part of the fight against climate change. But when forest trees grow faster, they die sooner, a new study finds. That quickens their release of carbon back into the air — which is disappointing news for global warming.

 <https://www.zmescience.com/science/trees-grow-fast-die-young-043242/>
Trees that live fast die young and this is bad news for the ... <https://www.zmescience.com/science/trees-grow-fast-die-young-043242/>

Sep 9, 2020 — There's a universal trade-off between early growth and lifespan in trees, according to a new study, which showed faster growth has a direct and ...

 <https://theconversation.com/across-the-world-trees-are-growing-faster-dying-younger-and-will-soon-store-less-carbon-145785>
Across the world, trees are growing faster, dying younger ... <https://theconversation.com/across-the-world-trees-are-growing-faster-dying-younger-and-will-soon-store-less-carbon-145785>
https://theconversation.com › across-the-world-trees-are... <https://theconversation.com/across-the-world-trees-are-growing-faster-dying-younger-and-will-soon-store-less-carbon-145785>

Sep 8, 2020 — As the world warms and the atmosphere becomes increasingly fertilised with carbon dioxide, trees are growing ever faster. But they're also ...

 <https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/09/200908113331.htm>
Trees living fast die young -- ScienceDaily <https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/09/200908113331.htm>

Sep 8, 2020 — Trees living fast die young ... A global analysis reveals for the first time that across almost all tree species, fast growing trees have shorter lifespans.

 <https://www.newscientist.com/article/2253908-rising-co2-levels-mean-trees-increasingly-live-fast-and-die-young/>
Rising CO2 levels mean trees increasingly live fast and die ... <https://www.newscientist.com/article/2253908-rising-co2-levels-mean-trees-increasingly-live-fast-and-die-young/>
https://www.newscientist.com › article › 2253908-rising... <https://www.newscientist.com/article/2253908-rising-co2-levels-mean-trees-increasingly-live-fast-and-die-young/>

Sep 8, 2020 — Trees that grow faster die younger, a study of tree rings has confirmed. Many trees worldwide are already dying more quickly as a result of rising carbon dioxide levels and temperatures. This means that existing forests will store less carbon than we thought, worsening climate change.

 <https://www.carbonbrief.org/european-forests-could-live-fast-and-die-young-in-a-warming-climate>
European forests could 'live fast and die young' in a warming ... <https://www.carbonbrief.org/european-forests-could-live-fast-and-die-young-in-a-warming-climate>
https://www.carbonbrief.org › european-forests-could-li... <https://www.carbonbrief.org/european-forests-could-live-fast-and-die-young-in-a-warming-climate>

May 15, 2019 — The first hypothesis – the “wait” hypothesis – is that trees that grow faster reach their maximum size earlier, then stop growing and eventually die ...

 <https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/sep/08/shorter-lifespan-of-faster-growing-trees-will-add-to-climate-crisis-study-finds>
Shorter lifespan of faster-growing trees will add to climate ... <https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/sep/08/shorter-lifespan-of-faster-growing-trees-will-add-to-climate-crisis-study-finds>
https://www.theguardian.com › environment › sep › sh... <https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/sep/08/shorter-lifespan-of-faster-growing-trees-will-add-to-climate-crisis-study-finds>

Sep 8, 2020 — Live fast, die young is a truism often applied to rock stars but could just as easily describe trees, according to new research. Trees that grow ...

Book review : Under the Sky We Make. Kimberly Nicholas, PhD

Excerpt : Individual responsibility has become something of a flashpoint in the climate discourse.

On the one hand, oil companies love to harp on about <https://grist.org/energy/footprint-fantasy/> personal carbon footprints as a way of distracting from their much larger contributions to the climate crisis, both through the fossil fuel products they make and their longstanding, ongoing efforts to delay climate action and misinform the public.

At the same time, prominent journalists and scientists have waved off individual climate actions as a distraction from the systemic changes that are needed to solve the crisis — changes like overhauling our electricity and transit systems through governmental investments in clean energy, better regulation, and carbon pricing.

They’re joined by a growing chorus of climate justice advocates who rightly point out that asking poor people to make difficult dietary shifts or give up the car they need to get to work is completely unfair.

That’s not what Nicholas is doing. Her message isn’t aimed at folks struggling to make ends meet, but at people making a middle-class income or higher who live in a wealthy country like the United States, Germany, or France. Far from a distraction, Nicholas argues that the climate impact of the carbon elite is something we need to focus on — individually and systematically. She points out that globally, more than two-thirds of climate pollution can be attributed to household consumption <https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/es803496a>, and that the richest 10 percent of the world population — those making more than $38,000 a year <https://wedocs.unep.org/xmlui/bitstream/handle/20.500.11822/34432/EGR20ch6.pdf?sequence=3> — is responsible for about half of those emissions.

https://grist.org/culture/cutting-your-carbon-footprint-matters-a-lot-if-youre-rich/

Nature, Vol 461:10 September 2009

BOOKS & ARTS
Call for a climate culture shift

A new book describes the rapid reshaping of human priorities needed to save the planet from global warming. Some of that change is already under way at the community level, explains Robert Costanza.

Down to the Wire : Confronting Climate Collapse
by David W. Orr
Oxford University Press: 2009. 288 pp. $19.95

“A worldwide movement rejects the idea that we are fated to end the human experiment with a bang or a whimper.”

1st 2 paragraphs :

In the fight against climate change, humans will need to do more than switch to energy-efficient light bulbs and buy ‘green’ goods. As environmental scientist David Orr points out in Down to the Wire, what is needed is a radical shift in culture that alters our priorities. The question is whether that task, which seems impossible, can be made to happen. Orr’s book, along with recent research and social initiatives, give hope that it can.

There is a growing scientific consensus that humanity is rapidly approaching a global climate catastrophe. Although we have increasing knowledge of the dangers and costs ahead, there is little time to avert a disaster. Orr acknowledges these dire circumstances, but does not wallow in despair or defeatism. His book is a clear-sighted view of what we need to change now.