[MCN] New Exhibit! - History Through an Artist's Eyes at the Historical Museum

Jessie Rogers jrogers at missoulacounty.us
Wed Aug 11 15:32:35 EDT 2021

The Historical Museum Debuts New Exhibit Sept 1st!
History Through an Artist's Eyes
Explore Historic Fort Missoula Through Plein Air Artist, Mary Beth Wilhelm's Breathtaking Compilations.

[cid:image001.png at 01D78EB5.575AC430]
The Historical Museum at Fort Missoula's newest exhibit "History Through an Artist's Eyes" showcases brand new perspectives of the iconic buildings and structures to be found on Fort Missoula's expansive grounds.

Local artist Mary Beth Wilhelm came to HMFM as part of Open AIR's Artist in Residence program during the Spring of 2019. During her 10-day residency she worked with Museum staff to study the history of the Fort and create plein air art using the historic area as her muse.
As a plein air artist, Mary Beth creates most of her work outdoors. This art style allows an artist to capture the changing details of landscape using the weather, light, and animal life that exist in the same space. The exhibit will include 20 watercolor paintings and original sketches.

These stunning works are inspired by the historical events surrounding each the structure. Such as the Post Hospital's tragic, yet significant involvement during the 1918 Flu Pandemic or it's use during the WWII Alien Detention Center era of the Fort. By capturing the essence of these historic buildings, Mary Beth has truly brought new color to our local history.

We hope to see you visit the Historical Museum at Fort Missoula and check out our new exhibit this September! Admission is free for Museum Members and Missoula County residents.

  *   Informative labels explaining the history and uses of the buildings captured by Mary Beth's art will enhance visitor's understanding of the Fort's role in Missoula and Montana.
  *   A virtual map showing how each building is situated on the grounds will assist visitors compare the artwork with the current character of the Fort's iconic buildings.
  *   Visitors of all ages can create their own artwork at the 'art station' within the gallery.
The exhibit opens to the public September 1, 2021 and will remain on view in the Orientation Gallery until October 31, 2021.

Jessie Rogers
Development & Communications Director
Historical Museum at Fort Missoula
406-258-3479
Cell: 406-240-3967

"While we are living in the present, we must celebrate life every day, knowing that we are becoming history with every work, every action, every deed."  ---  Mattie Stepanek

Messages and attachments sent to or from this e-mail account may be considered public or private records depending on the message content. Unless otherwise exempted from the public records law, senders and receivers of County email should presume that the emails are subject to release upon request. This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient of this transmission, please notify the sender immediately, do not forward the message to anyone, and delete all copies.