[MCN] My Grandmother's Hands Practice Group

Smai Fullerton shfullerton at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 16:44:24 EST 2021

This invitation is for white identifying folks in Missoula or the
surrounding areas to join an 8-week virtual community practice group to
"grind"* together to examine white-body supremacy and create a new type of
lasting relationship rooted in racial justice and accountability.

We'll be guided by the expertise of Resmaa Menakem in his book My
Grandmother's Hands. The author is a trauma therapist who expertly outlines
the effects of racialized trauma on Black bodies, white bodies, and public
safety professional bodies, each of which carry specific versions of
historical trauma. He demonstrates that policy efforts to end racism will
not be effective until the unconscious somatic effects of trauma are
addressed. Until then, our lizard brain nervous systems will continue to
react by fighting, fleeing, or freezing in racialized contexts, thus
overriding the greater wisdom of our hearts and minds.

The group will be for white identifying folks, or to use Resmaa’s term,
“white bodies,” as we read and practice the book’s suggestions for facing
and healing the effects of white supremacy in our own nervous systems.

More info available on this flyer: http://bit.ly/3nQVNNY
Sign up link: http://bit.ly/2Lsb9LY

Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions and share with
people you know who might be interested.

* For a definition of the term "grind" here, please listen to Resmaa
Menakem's interview on Sounds True (highly recommend this interview in
general!):
https://resources.soundstrue.com/podcast/resmaa-menakem-somatic-abolitionism/