[MCN] Historical Museum at Fort Missoula Awarded $533, 000 Grant to Preserve & Interpret Japanese American Confinement Sites

Jessie Rogers jrogers at missoulacounty.us
Fri May 21 12:44:01 EDT 2021

The Historical Museum at Fort Missoula is honored to receive a 2021 Japanese American Confinement Sites grant worth $533,000.

An effort of the National Parks Service, the program recognizes the Asian American and Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander communities and honors their rich heritage dating back thousands of years, their contributions that shaped the history of the United States, and the ways in which moments in history dramatically influenced their lives.

The funds will help restore and reconstruct two original World War II Alien Detention Center barracks at the Historical Museum for the purpose of creating an immersive interpretive space and state-of-the-art collections storage. The grant will improve the museum's ability to serve our community, increase tourism and honor the 2,200 men of Japanese and Italian descent who were wrongly imprisoned at Fort Missoula during the war.

Additional information: https://missoulacountyblog.com/2021/05/21/historical-museum-at-fort-missoula-awarded-533000-grant-to-preserve-interpret-japanese-american-confinement-sites/

Matt Lautzenheiser, Historical Museum at Fort Missoula executive director, is available to answer additional questions at mlautzenheiser at missoulacounty.us<mailto:mlautzenheiser at missoulacounty.us> or
406-258-3471.

Jessie Rogers
Development & Communications Director
The Historical Museum at Fort Missoula

"Do your little bit of good where you are; it's those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world." -Desmond Tutu
*** The Historical Museum at Fort Missoula acknowledges that we are in the homelands of the Salish and Kalispel people. We offer our respect for their history and culture, and for their wisdom in caring for this place for the generations to come.

Messages and attachments sent to or from this e-mail account may be considered public or private records depending on the message content. Unless otherwise exempted from the public records law, senders and receivers of County email should presume that the emails are subject to release upon request. This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient of this transmission, please notify the sender immediately, do not forward the message to anyone, and delete all copies.