[MCN] Core climate certainties for taping to your fridge : "...things are only going to get worse." "... if we continue to burn fossil fuels"

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Sat Sep 4 13:56:44 EDT 2021

Core climate certainties for taping to your fridge : "...things are only going to get worse." "... if we continue to burn fossil fuels"

 ********************************
=========================
*********************************

This Isn’t ‘the New Normal’ for Climate Change — That Will Be Worse
David Wallace-Wells

Excerpts from the concluding paragraphs

Of course, there is also an enormous variance in weather, and we shouldn’t expect, say, that next year’s hurricane season will be necessarily as bad as this one, or worse, or that next year’s wildfire season will be as bad as this one, or worse, even as the planet continues to warm.

But, over time, the trend lines are inarguable: Climate change will give us more devastating hurricanes than we have now, and more horrible wildfires, as well as more tornadoes and droughts and heat waves and floods.

What that means is that we have not, at all, arrived at a new normal.

The effects will grow and build as the planet continues to warm: from one degree to one-point-five to almost certainly two degrees and beyond. The last few months of climate disasters may look like about as much as the planet can take. But things are only going to get worse.

<<http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/10/why-this-isnt-the-new-normal-for-climate-change.html>>

“””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””

Michael Mann: ““A new normal makes it sound like we have arrived in a new position, and that's where we're going to be. But if we continue to burn fossil fuels ... we are going to ... get worse and worse droughts, and heat waves, and super storms, and floods, and wildfires.”

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/climate-change-is-making-wildfires-more-extreme-heres-how <https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/climate-change-is-making-wildfires-more-extreme-heres-how>

 ********************************
=========================
*********************************

 Now these :

NEWS RELEASE 2-SEP-2021
Do we need an IPCC for food?

Excerpts

As the human population continues to skyrocket and the climate crisis threatens food production, global action is needed. Would an IPCC for food be part of the answer? Writing in Science’s Policy Forum <http://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abj5263> this week, researchers discuss the potential benefits and drawbacks that such a global food panel could bring.

While many global organizations prioritize food system transformation, including One CGIAR <https://www.cgiar.org/> and the EAT-Lancet Commission on Food, Planet, Health <https://eatforum.org/eat-lancet-commission/>, none have the authority to bring together 196 nations like the IPCC did to reduce greenhouse gas emissions in the legally binding Paris Agreement <https://unfccc.int/process-and-meetings/the-paris-agreement/the-paris-agreement> of 2016.

But action on food is as urgent as action on climate. The IPCC’s accomplishments have taken decades of drawn-out negotiations, and we don’t have this luxury for food if we are going to achieve 2030 goals.

 ********************************
'Carbon Footprint' Was Coined by Big Oil to Blame You for Climate Change <https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEOd-D2rzpBdukTrxswPRProqGQgEKhAIACoHCAowy5qUCzDYxqkDMLW5kQc?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen>
Interesting Engineering <https://news.google.com/publications/CAAqBwgKMMualAsw2MapAw?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen>
2 days ago

 ********************************
Caught in a Trap of Our Own Making: Climate Change, Blame, and Denial <https://www.counterpunch.org/2018/06/25/caught-in-a-trap-of-our-own-making-climate-change-blame-and-denial/>
JUNE 25, 2018  La <https://www.counterpunch.org/author/lance-olsen/>nce Olsen

Up to half of world’s wild tree species could be at risk of extinction <https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiELJAaJiAc799lex-_dACLv8qFggEKg4IACoGCAowl6p7MN-zCTDlkko?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen>
The Guardia <https://news.google.com/publications/CAAqBggKMJeqezDfswk?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen>n

"We linked 25,000 Animalia species threat records from the International Union for Conservation of Nature Red List to more than 15,000 commodities ….
we found that 30% of global species threats are due to international trade. In many developed countries, the consumption of imported coffee, tea, sugar,
textiles, fish and ... manufactured items causes a biodiversity footprint that is larger abroad than at home."

M. Lenzen, D. Moran, K. Kanemoto, B. Foran, L. Lobefaro & A. Geschke.
International trade drives biodiversity threats in developing nations.
Nature  7 June 2012 doi:10.1038/nature11145

"The global shipping industry is continuing to release more and more greenhouse gas emissions by the year, according to a new study released by the International Council on Clean Transportation (ICCT). "The findings are the result of an analysis utilizing 'state of the art' global ship operations (AIS) data, along with detailed vessel characteristics relating to over half a million ships — collectively used to estimate greenhouse gas emissions and air pollution released by shipping “at high resolution (1° x 1°) on an hourly basis for the years 2013 to 2015.”

CleanTechnica Oct 24 2017
https://cleantechnica.com/2017/10/24/icct-shipping-industrys-greenhouse-gas-emissions-rise/

“Being a committed, consistent climate hawk will occasionally put one at odds with the rhetorical tropes, policy habits, and priorities of environmentalism. Think solar panels in fragile desert ecosystems. Wind turbines that kill birds. Transmission lines that bisect species habitats.”

https://www.vox.com/energy-and environment/2018/1/27/16935382/climate-change-ugly-tradeoffs