[MCN] Change of Venue for Monday's Steve Running Talk

Jeffrey J. Smith yswolfhowl at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 12:58:14 EDT 2022

UM Regents Professor Emeritus and Nobel Prize-winning climate scientist,
Steve Running will speak about the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate
Change (IPCC) most recent assessment and NorthWestern Energy's flawed "net
zero" plan at 350 Montana's action committee meeting *Monday, April 18, at
5:30 p.m. at the First Methodist Church, 300 East Main, Missoula. *

Greenhouse gas emissions were the largest in history in 2021, as were
global temperatures. Montana’s monopoly utility, NorthWestern Energy,
meanwhile, missed the IPCC's two fundamental targets -- limiting rising
temperatures to 1.5 C by cutting emissions over the next 10 years.

Running will discuss the implications.

In his op-ed in The Montana Standard
<https://u1584542.ct.sendgrid.net/ss/c/tTBUZwcBH_2q13Ow12s-jfgSDylE29lV2faaRhWzLwJKyzmG_hJzfSzpFLx2GAWr-uwVTB6-ttuoSNlyeLZ1SPyCeFqS2i8qzh9mMhKUlzOOS61JItY8bZT4r0V9f6Ml-YAo_7m1xIoDGWoJm6X-A2yUy-Xmyqa18tnhOPM_AebgCOvoA2VdS6bFZlcyZnDt0-diAkTV4XFkJUIxmwhUDtB9eRDA67OzayhDagJ0vY8qonuGjLITfz6zDx9-ZQhCiaEEO0zJeihzLXJgho7xrI35lpTPvuW5y3iRsiCk25nNUTG4pHpb0S7q9aep9J8gpvDf4PoujKculpUIeaAgO0SVfY1p5dYH5rgbBZ7728V7hk8O0dleso-5AjVrWsirLI4GaqGS88NYajFZ8kBPAWPVguDnQqVIzu6vMd-NO3SJmY-uuml1wOeNk3WtOMsDN2ZBLkimls009fkuUhVt0ADXLJ7JxXVAnRIg9FyaZrFp21H6oSwzsldgfBDeAVAMp6ZpeJLPpKMFk3H3Cjovrg/3l1/ned2b2NISVaq0c8514bw8Q/h1/BNTzkCASkonIgXRo-T63qy2Wk9a0PAuq7owrQ1uwooI>
on March 13, Steve wrote, "I was a chapter lead author of the IPCC report
that shared the Nobel Peace Prize in 2007. Back then we were careful to
describe our findings of the many varied climate responses and impacts with
terms like 'very likely' and 'high probability'. I now read the IPCC 6th
Assessment reports, and the terms describing climate trends and impacts are
'unequivocal' and 'virtually certain'. As scientists, we are not prone to
hyperbole, if anything we may be criticized for being too careful in
waiting for proof before speaking. The urgency these authors are trying to
convey is palpable."

A world-class scientist, Steve and his colleagues won the Nobel Prize "for
their efforts to build up and disseminate greater knowledge about man-made
climate change
<https://u1584542.ct.sendgrid.net/ss/c/XlxiKm-amnZREMhISCI1HXQNhtjsneutCg2HYRlFrgZ0GhVZoB1ne8myKuAqNEm1zkFRlAXFk_GWpecNYlHK6D7IQIJbSSlAd57v7VDXguDrbZxTnKcv_JxJipCky-gcDCIT5Q_eSKuiq4ZOXmM1j3IKHJdf-wlBKbiWu0GDAfGkYeB2x0j--IdOZHCxovsgldVliznkeb7YCS-S8KsJy288AHvc3-PomEXv6jSsWRoPw-4z8UiHcVAFzP3tSMU_oHgyA2CncucLCp39t9ejTwei4bIUdOF2nuLLxNR39Kf4tIpHAJZCll8x3S-lkRreG7ztcrIjkJLPxSQhVcPk-v3YGjX_899YaZySilcPqmuVEwezcf8VeHkC82fBaiTB/3l1/ned2b2NISVaq0c8514bw8Q/h2/VU5SCauHwxOwdxR7kf6K75BGv2wXkD8ErPSafwsglCc>,
and to lay the foundations for the measures that are needed to counteract
such change."

He's also very approachable and engaging. This isn't a PowerPoint slide
presentation crammed with scientific graphs, but a conversation.