[MCN] Help protect Montana's wolf population

Lizzy Pennock lpennock at wildearthguardians.org
Wed Jul 13 11:04:28 EDT 2022

Good morning Missoula Community,

My name is Lizzy, I am the carnivore coexistence advocate at WildEarth
Guardians based here in Missoula. I am emailing about the upcoming Montana
Fish and Wildlife Commission decision on the 2022-23 wolf hunting and
trapping regulations. We are hoping to engage the local pro-wildlife
community to provide comments in support of living wolves and against
liberalized hunting and trapping regulations that the Commission is
considering implementing for a second year.

*We need your voice. *The Commission will put both wildlife and the public
at risk if it continues last year's approach of aiming to drastically
reduce the state's still-recovering wolf population. Under the current and
proposed season regulations for 2022-23, a single person can kill up to 20
wolves and use bait, night vision scopes, artificial lights, and thermal
imaging—truly dispelling any notion of ethical or “fair chase” hunting. The
heinously liberalized gray wolf hunting and trapping allowances not only
endanger the gray wolf population, but also federally threatened species
including grizzly bears and Canada lynx, as well as family pets and
Montanans and visitors who enjoy recreating outdoors.

Click here for the link  <https://fwp.mt.gov/aboutfwp/commission/meeting>to
the MFWP page where they are accepting comments *until July 21 at 5 p.m*.
Once you get to the webpage, find the drop down tab called 'trapping and
wolf seasons' and insert your comment. I have provided talking points below
for your reference.

The Commission will decide on the 2022-23 wolf hunting and trapping
regulations on August 25. Notably, if adopted as proposed, 460 wolves—close
to half of the state’s population—must be slaughtered before the Commission
will even consider stopping the hunt. The unsatiable bloodlust of the
anti-wolf minority in the northern Rockies states, including Idaho,
Wyoming, and Montana, continues to amplify the need for the federal
government to take action—now—to protect these wolves. Until it does,
Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming will continue the unabated slaughter until
there are no wolves left.

Make your opposition to liberalized wolf hunting and trapping in Montana
known by providing written comments by 5 pm on July 21 under the “trapping
and wolf seasons” tab for the Commission to consider on August 25.
<https://fwp.mt.gov/aboutfwp/commission/meeting>

Here are some important talking points, but be sure to personalize your
comment for maximum effectiveness:

   - Gray wolf management should be cautious and science-based, not
   political.
   - The quota for wolf kills in the proposed WMU 313, if adopted, should
   be zero or the minimum number of wolves—not 10.
   - The model used to estimate the statewide wolf population is full of
   compounding errors, meaning the actual size of the state’s wolf population
   is unknown.
   - Increased wolf trapping imperils federally threatened grizzly bears
   and Canada lynx, as well as family pets and outdoor recreationists.
   - Snares are cruel and inherently indiscriminate, threatening many
   wildlife species and our pets.

Thank you all for your time and efforts to help protect our wolves, the
environment, and each other. Please feel free to reach out to me with any
questions or if you'd like to get further involved with WildEarth
Guardians' efforts in Montana.

For the wild,
Lizzy
--