[MCN] Abundance of human population depends on abundance of food — How’s that going?

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Sat Jun 11 09:35:30 EDT 2022

We’ve all seen many a news report detailing how the war on Ukrainians has triggered risk to abundance of food.

But risk to food abundance was entrenched even before that, and will persist no matter what the violence against Ukranians achieves.

Showing results for food risk climate drought temperatur <https://www.google.com/search?q=food+risk+climate+drought+temperature&spell=1&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjNzZ7tlpT4AhWpHzQIHdjrAGgQkeECKAB6BAgBEDI>e
About 23,900,000 results (0.56 seconds)

Scholarly articles for food risk climate drought temperature <https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=food+risk+climate+drought+temperature&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart>

Climate change and diseases of food crops <https://scholar.google.com/scholar_url?url=https://www.academia.edu/download/51103255/Climate_change_and_diseases_of_food_crop20161229-25992-1ikxhb0.pdf&hl=en&sa=X&ei=IYObYpzCL6ybywSl6orQAw&scisig=AAGBfm0Jc_hDxpGvRklW9eNz5Z8onGYzqw&oi=scholarr> -
 ‎Luck - Cited by 294

Global food security under climate change <https://scholar.google.com/scholar_url?url=https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/pmc2148361/&hl=en&sa=X&ei=IYObYpzCL6ybywSl6orQAw&scisig=AAGBfm2JubXG80d9bXKnwXly3LjDDRbFDg&oi=scholarr> - ‎
Schmidhuber - Cited by 2252

… to an ecosystem service: pressures on pollinators <https://scholar.google.com/scholar_url?url=https://eprints.whiterose.ac.uk/78353/1/Vanbergen_IPI_FEE_JournalPrint_mediumres.pdf&hl=en&sa=X&ei=G8GgYuyZEqCM6rQPsee0yAg&scisig=AAGBfm1gZ5ahCnpsfh_a0nK7LB-1SfwVXA&oi=scholarr> - ‎
Vanbergen - Cited by 1170

Food Security — Special Report on Climate Change and Land <https://www.ipcc.ch/srccl/chapter/chapter-5/>

The World's Food Supply is Made Insecure by Climate Change <https://www.un.org/en/academic-impact/worlds-food-supply-made-insecure-climate-change>
 There is no doubt in the evidence and conclusions of more than 1,000 global and regional studies, that a temperature rise of 1 to 2 degrees Celsius will ...

Climate Impacts on Agriculture and Food Supply | US EPA <https://climatechange.chicago.gov/climate-impacts/climate-impacts-agriculture-and-food-supply>
More extreme temperature and precipitation can prevent crops from growing. Extreme events, especially floods and droughts, can harm crops and reduce yields. For ...

 <https://www.science.org/content/article/warming-oceans-are-hurting-seafood-supply-and-things-are-getting-worse>
Warming oceans are hurting seafood supply—and ... - Science <https://www.science.org/content/article/warming-oceans-are-hurting-seafood-supply-and-things-are-getting-worse>
https://www.science.org › content › article › warming-oce... <https://www.science.org/content/article/warming-oceans-are-hurting-seafood-supply-and-things-are-getting-worse>
These smaller fish, which are more efficient at using oxygen, might, in theory, be better able to cope with warmer water that has less oxygen. But the new study ...

'Alarming decline' of insects putting food security 'at risk' <https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/alarming-decline-of-insects-putting-food-security-at-risk/>
https://www.agriland.ie › biodiversity <https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/alarming-decline-of-insects-putting-food-security-at-risk/>
May 27, 2021 — The alarming decline of insects that pollinate crops and wild plants “puts food security at risk”, the European Commission has warned.- ‎

Frontiers | Effects of Elevated CO2 on Nutritional Quality ... <https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpls.2018.00924/full>
by J Dong · 2018 · Cited by 128 — Our meta-analysis showed that eCO2 decreased the protein concentration in vegetables (9.5%), specifically 10.5% for fruit vegetables, 12.6% for ...

 <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stunted_growth>
Stunted growth - Wikipedia <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stunted_growth>
Stunted growth is a primary manifestation of malnutrition (or more precisely undernutrition) and recurrent ...

Climate change and food security: risks and responses - FAO <https://www.fao.org/3/i5188e/I5188E.pdf>
https://www.fao.org › ... <https://www.fao.org/3/i5188e/I5188E.pdf>
PDF
climate change is contributing to decreased productivity and dieback of trees from drought and temperature stress, increased wind and water erosion, ...
122 pages
Effect of Climate change on livestock production milk , meat and eggs - Technology Times <https://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa=t&url=https://technologytimes.pk/2022/06/02/effect-of-climate-change-on-livestock-production-milk-meat-and-eggs/&ct=ga&cd=CAEYAyoTOTU1MjE3MjU2MjkyNTY1MzM2MzIaNTVhMjBiMWU5MmY1MDdlZDpjb206ZW46VVM&usg=AOvVaw3GQLUywhYqqQbaWUhPBczs>
Technology Times
Heat stress affects body weight, body size and carcass weight And the thickness of animal fat. Severe heat stress results in increased pH and ...

 <https://insideclimatenews.org/news/29092019/ocean-fish-diet-climate-change-impact-food-ipcc-report-cryosphere/>
Climate Change Threatens the World's Fisheries, Food ... <https://insideclimatenews.org/news/29092019/ocean-fish-diet-climate-change-impact-food-ipcc-report-cryosphere/>
https://insideclimatenews.org › News <https://insideclimatenews.org/news/29092019/ocean-fish-diet-climate-change-impact-food-ipcc-report-cryosphere/>
Sep 29, 2019 — The scientists determined that the sustainable fish catch—the amount of fish that can be caught without decimating populations—could drop by as ...

How climate change increases hunger (and why we're all at risk) <https://www.concernusa.org/story/climate-change-and-hunger/>
https://www.concernusa.org › Stories <https://www.concernusa.org/story/climate-change-and-hunger/>
May 23, 2022 — 1. Climate change impacts agriculture and food production ... Higher temperatures, water scarcity, droughts, floods, and greater CO2 ...
 <https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/c-change/subtopics/climate-change-nutrition/>
Climate Change & Nutrition <https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/c-change/subtopics/climate-change-nutrition/>
Millions may face protein deficiency as a result of human-caused carbon dioxide emissions · As carbon dioxide levels climb, millions at risk of nutritional ...

Carbon Dioxide May Rob Crops Of Nutrition, Leaving Millions ... <https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2017/08/02/540650904/carbon-dioxide-may-rob-crops-of-nutrition-leaving-millions-at-risk>
https://www.npr.org › sections › thesalt › 2017/08/02 › ca... <https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2017/08/02/540650904/carbon-dioxide-may-rob-crops-of-nutrition-leaving-millions-at-risk>
Aug 2, 2017 — One study published in Environmental Health Perspectives estimates that the predicted decreases in the protein content of food crops may put ...

Research Finds Protecting Pollinators is Critical For Food ... <http://www.agrilinks.org/post/research-finds-protecting-pollinators-critical-food-security-africa>
http://www.agrilinks.org › post › research-finds-protecti... <http://www.agrilinks.org/post/research-finds-protecting-pollinators-critical-food-security-africa>
Nov 6, 2020 — Pollination is crucial for food production, human livelihoods, and the preservation of biodiversity in natural ecosystems.,

Global food security under climate change - PNAS <https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.0701976104>
 by J Schmidhuber · 2007 · Cited by 2252 — Essentially all manifestations of climate change, be they drought, higher temperatures, or heavy rainfalls have an impact ...

Climate change and ocean acidification imperil fisheries ... <https://www.seafoodsource.com/news/environment-sustainability/climate-change-and-ocean-acidification-imperil-fisheries-sweeping-ipcc-report-says>
https://www.seafoodsource.com › news › climate-chang... <https://www.seafoodsource.com/news/environment-sustainability/climate-change-and-ocean-acidification-imperil-fisheries-sweeping-ipcc-report-says>
Human-driven climate change has made the oceans hotter and more acidic, depleting them of oxygen and kneecapping their ability to produce life.

How Climate Change Will Alter Our Food - State of the Planet <https://news.climate.columbia.edu/2018/07/25/climate-change-food-agriculture/>
Jul 25, 2018 — But scientists say that the impacts of climate change—higher temperatures, extreme weather, drought, increasing levels of carbon dioxide and ...

Climate Change, Global Food Security, and the US Food System <https://www.usda.gov/oce/energy-and-environment/food-security>
Climate change can affect food availability, access, utilization, and the stability of each of these over time. Constrictions at any point can lead to food ....

"'Friends," said he, 'the taxes are indeed very heavy, and, if those laid on by the government were the only ones we had to pay, we might more easily discharge them; but we have many others, and much more grievous to some of us. We are taxed twice as much by our idleness, three times as much by our pride, and four times as much by our folly  ....   "

"Away then with your expensive follies, and you will not then have so much cause to complain of hard times, heavy taxes, and chargeable families   ....  “

"Here you are all got together at this sale of fineries and knick-knacks. You call them goods; but, if you do not take care, they will prove evils to some of you."

Benjamin Franklin, “The Way to Wealth” (1758).

[ The classic Franklin summary of his advice from Poor Richard's Almanac. ]

http://www.swarthmore.edu/SocSci/bdorsey1/41docs/52-fra.html