[MCN] Lifestyle of [ financially comfortable ] spender --> continued emissions --> additional heat --->

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Sat Mar 12 10:03:10 EST 2022

Thawing Permafrost Could Leach Microbes, Chemicals Into Environment <https://news.google.com/articles/CBMiY2h0dHBzOi8vd3d3Lm5hc2EuZ292L2ZlYXR1cmUvanBsL3RoYXdpbmctcGVybWFmcm9zdC1jb3VsZC1sZWFjaC1taWNyb2Jlcy1jaGVtaWNhbHMtaW50by1lbnZpcm9ubWVudNIBAA?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen>
NASA News Release

Excerpts

Trapped within Earth’s permafrost – ground that remains frozen for a minimum of two years – are untold quantities of greenhouse gases, microbes, and chemicals, including the now-banned pesticide DDT. As the planet warms, permafrost is thawing at an increasing rate, and scientists face a host of uncertainties when trying to determine the potential effects of the thaw.

“Current models predict that we’ll see a pulse of carbon released from the permafrost to the atmosphere within the next hundred years, potentially sooner,” said Kimberley Miner, a climate researcher at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Southern California and lead author of the paper.

The worst-case scenario is if all the carbon dioxide and methane were released within a very short time, like a couple of years. Another scenario involves the gradual release of carbon.

With more information, scientists hope to better understand the likelihood of either scenario.

————————————————————————————

Global carbon dioxide emissions reach highest level in history <https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEGMiOXMHVTvmKCtIzmGwnE8qGQgEKhAIACoHCAowjsP7CjCSpPQCMKCK0wU?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen>
USA TODAY <https://news.google.com/publications/CAAqBwgKMI7D-wowkqT0Ag?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen>
16 hours ago

————————————————————————————

Front. Conserv. Sci., 10 March 2022
https://doi.org/10.3389/fcosc.2022.738820 <https://doi.org/10.3389/fcosc.2022.738820>

Higher Maximum Temperature Increases the Frequency of Water Drinking in Mountain Gorillas (Gorilla beringei beringei)

Edward Wright <https://www.frontiersin.org/people/u/1398365>, Winnie Eckardt <https://www.frontiersin.org/people/u/1426929>, Johannes Refisch, Robert Bitariho <https://www.frontiersin.org/people/u/1597891>, Cyril C. Grueter <https://www.frontiersin.org/people/u/1503824>, Jessica Ganas-Swaray, Tara S. Stoinski and Martha M. Robbins

Abstract

Water plays a vital role in many aspects of sustaining life, including thermoregulation. Given that increasing temperatures and more extreme weather events due to climate change are predicted to influence water availability, understanding how species obtain and use water is critical. This is especially true for endangered species in small isolated populations which are vulnerable to drought and the risk of extinction. We examined the relationship between the frequency of water drinking and maximum temperature and rainfall in 21 groups of wild gorillas from the two mountain gorilla populations (Bwindi and Virunga), between 2010 and 2020. In both populations, we found that the frequency of water drinking significantly increased at higher maximum temperatures than cooler ones, but we found no consistent relationship between water drinking and rainfall. We also found that Virunga gorillas relied more on foods with higher water content than Bwindi gorillas, which in part likely explains why they drink water much less frequently. These findings highlight that even in rainforest mammals that gain most of their water requirements from food, access to free-standing water may be important because it likely facilitates evaporative cooling in response to thermoregulatory stress. These results have important implications for conservation and behavior of mountain gorillas in the face of continued increases in temperature and frequency of extreme weather events associated with climate change.

————————————————————————————

"Precipitation is just the supply side," said study coauthor Jason Smerdon, a Lamont-Doherty paleoclimatologist.

"Temperature is on the demand side, the part that dries things out."

"If we don't see it coming in stronger in, say, the next 10 years, we might have to wonder whether we are right," said (study lead author Kate) Marvel.

"But all the models are projecting that you should see unprecedented drying soon, in a lot of places."

<<https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2019-05/eiac-ssf042919.php <https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2019-05/eiac-ssf042919.php>>>

————————————————————————————

HOTTER HEAT IS A DONE DEAL, FELT ONLY AFTER A DELAY

Maximum warming occurs about one decade after a carbon dioxide emission
Katharine L Ricke and Ken Caldeira

Environmental Research Letters Published 2 December 2014
https://iopscience.iop.org/article/ <https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/9/12/124002/pdf>

50,622 Total downloads
10.1088/1748-9326/9/12/124002/pdf <https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/9/12/124002/pdf>

Abstract
It is known that carbon dioxide emissions cause the Earth to warm, but no previous study has focused on examining how long it takes to reach maximum warming following a particular CO2 emission. Using conjoined results of carbon-cycle and physical-climate model intercomparison projects (Taylor et al 2012, Joos et al 2013), we find the median time between an emission and maximum warming is 10.1 years, with a 90% probability range of 6.6–30.7 years. We evaluate uncertainties in timing and amount of warming, partitioning them into three contributing factors: carbon cycle, climate sensitivity and ocean thermal inertia. If uncertainty in any one factor is reduced to zero without reducing uncertainty in the other factors, the majority of overall uncertainty remains. Thus, narrowing uncertainty in century-scale warming depends on narrowing uncertainty in all contributing factors. Our results indicate that benefit from avoided climate damage from avoided CO2 emissions will be manifested within the lifetimes of people who acted to avoid that emission. While such avoidance could be expected to benefit future generations, there is potential for emissions avoidance to provide substantial benefit to current generations.

————————————————————————————
10-Mar-2022 <https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/946070>
 <https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/946070>
Heat stress for cattle may cost billions by century’s end <https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/946070>
 <https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/946070>
CORNELL UNIVERSITY <https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/946070>
PEER-REVIEWED PUBLICATION <https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/946070>
 <https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/946070>
Climate change poses a potentially devastating economic threat to low-income cattle farmers in poor countries due to increasing heat stress on the animals. Globally, by the end of this century those producers may face financial loss between $15 and $40 billion annually. <https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/946070>
 <https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/946070>
https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/946070 <https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/946070>

The Lancet Planetary Health <https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/946070>
OPEN ACCESS pdf
https://www.thelancet.com/action/showPdf?pii=S2542-5196%2822%2900002-X <https://www.thelancet.com/action/showPdf?pii=S2542-5196(22)00002-X>

————————————————————————————

'This is a fossil fuel war': Ukraine's top climate scientist speaks out <https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEElJ299IZOpmAekawMEos_MqFggEKg4IACoGCAowl6p7MN-zCTDlkko?uo=CAUiamh0dHBzOi8vd3d3LnRoZWd1YXJkaWFuLmNvbS9lbnZpcm9ubWVudC8yMDIyL21hci8wOS91a3JhaW5lLWNsaW1hdGUtc2NpZW50aXN0LXJ1c3NpYS1pbnZhc2lvbi1mb3NzaWwtZnVlbHPSAQA&hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen>
The Guardian <https://news.google.com/publications/CAAqBggKMJeqezDfswk?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen>

————————————————————————————

“Booms have consequences.”

James Grant. Money of the Mind : Borrowing and Lending in America from the Civil War to Michael Milken. Farrar Straus Giroux. 1992.

“The growth in CO2 emissions closely follows the growth in Gross Domestic Product (GDP) corrected for improvements in energy efficiency.”

P. Friedlingstein, et al. “Update on CO2 emissions.”
Nature Geoscience. Published online: 21 November 2010

In a July, 2001 editorial, The Economist said that “It is no coincidence that the deepest and most protracted recessions in recent decades have taken hold in countries that experienced booms …”

“Changes in world GDP (WGDP) have a significant effect on CO2 concentrations, so that years of above-trend WGDP are years of greater rise of CO2 concentrations.”

Granados et al. Climate change and the world economy: short-run determinants of atmospheric CO2. Environmental science & policy 21 (2012) 50–62