[MCN] Bread and Puppet Theater returns to Free Cycles Missoula! Oct. 19th, 2023

Bob Giordano mist at strans.org
Tue Sep 27 13:42:22 EDT 2022

Hello,

Free Cycles is happy to host the world famous Bread and Puppet
theater troupe!

Wednesday, Oct 19th, 2022

At Free Cycles: 732 South 1st Street West Missoula

6:30pm to 7:30pm

Donations at the Door, All ages

---
note: Free Cycles is looking for homestays for the troupe, and also
will be hosting potluck meals at 2:30pm and 9:30pm on the 19th,
and 8am on the 20th, for the Theater folks.  Contact Bob at Free Cycles
at mist at strans.org if housing or meal help can be provided.
This will be an outside show.

About the performance:

The circus is coming! The circus is coming! Bread & Puppet Theater
makes a rare cross-country tour this fall 2022. With performances
coast to coast, from New York to Seattle, Los Angeles to New Orleans,
the iconic political puppet theater company brings Our Domestic
Resurrection Circus: Apocalypse Defiance to over 50 cities and towns.
Fifty-two years ago Bread & Puppet Theater performed Our Domestic
Resurrection Circus for the first time at Goddard College in
Plainfield, VT. Since then, this capacious and provocative title has
served as the basis of annual spectacles that generations of audiences
have come to rely on for satire and celebration in the face of
intolerable circumstances. This year, B&P will take up the tradition
again, albeit with a timely subtitle: The Apocalypse Defiance Circus.

The show, says Schumann, is “in response to our totally unresurrected
capitalist situation, not only the hundreds of thousands of
unnecessarily sacrificed pandemic victims but our culture’s
unwillingness to recognize Mother Earth’s revolt against our
civilization. Since we earthlings do not live up to our earthling
obligations, we need resurrection circuses to yell against our own
stupidity.”

After the show Bread & Puppet will serve its famous sourdough rye
bread with aioli, and Bread & Puppet’s “Cheap Art” – books, posters,
postcards, pamphlets and banners from the Bread & Puppet Press – will
be for sale.

Show Length: Approximately 1 hour.

ABOUT BREAD AND PUPPET THEATER
The Bread and Puppet Theater is an internationally celebrated company
that champions a visually rich, street-theater brand of performance
art filled with music, dance and slapstick. Believing that theater is
a basic necessity like bread, the company frequently brings its work
to the streets for those who may not otherwise go to the theater. Its
shows are political and spectacular, with puppets often on stilts,
wearing huge masks with expressive faces, singing, dancing and playing
music.

Bread and Puppet is recognized throughout the world and has won
distinction at international theater festivals in Italy, Poland,
Colombia, and Yugoslavia, beginning with their break-out performances
at the 1968 Nancy Festival in France. Notable awards include the
Erasmus Prize of Amsterdam, 4 Obies, the Puppeteers of America's
President Award, and the Vermont Governor's Award. Bread and Puppet is
constantly active, performing at its farm in Glover, VT, and in local
churches, schools and parades. It regularly tours Europe, Canada, and
the United States and has recently visited El Salvador, Haiti, Russia,
and Korea.

Founded in 1963 by Peter Schumann on New York City’s Lower East Side,
the theater has been based in the North East Kingdom of Vermont since
the early 1970s and is one of the oldest, nonprofit, self-supporting
theatrical companies in the country.

Based on the Biography of Bread and Puppet that accompanies the Bread
and Puppet Archives at the University of Vermont, Burlington. Full
text at http://cdi.uvm.edu/findingaids/collection/bredpupt.ead.xml

PRESS INQUIRIES
Please contact Paul Bedard at paulhbedard at protonmail.com.

More for the press, with photos:
This folder:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1O7qK3J7luF4QSx93-XKNjTE7g-0l3NNq?usp=sharing
Please always be sure to include the photo credit, which is in
parenthesis in the file name

---

About Free Cycles:

Free Cycles is working to help Western Montana transition to a
sustainable transportation system while simultaneously setting a
strong example for other places. Free Cycles provides bicycles,
parts, tools, work space, and help for a healthy community. Our
programs focus on re-purposing unused bicycles to reduce pollution
and increase freedom, empowerment and social change.

---

Thank you!
Bob Giordano, Director, Free Cycles Missoula
www.freecycles.org
mist at strans.org, 406.541.7284