[MCN] FreeSessions at Westside Theater kick off 2023 this Sunday, February 5th

Lakebottom Sound lakebottomsound at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 16:04:12 EST 2023

Hello Missoula!

We had an amazingly beautiful relaunch to in-person FreeSessions this last
fall. We are so grateful for our new home and collaborator, The Westside
Theater (1200 Shakespeare St.). This gorgeous space has endless
possibilities for collaborative, creative, improvised art-making. We are
starting back up our 2023 season this Sunday, February 5th.

Join us Sunday February 5th at 7pm at the Westside Theater for our next
session which will focus on the impact and influence of multiple mediums on
every improviser, regardless of their mode of expression. We will use the
whole 2 hour session for improvisations this month. Sign up on the sign-up
sheet to participate or watch from the audience.

We will direct a portion of this session's proceeds and encourage those in
attendance (or if you cannot attend) towards a donation to the Memphis
NAACP branch to support their efforts to address the horrific violence and
display of police brutality against Tyre Nichols.
http://www.naacpmemphis.org/
<http://www.naacpmemphis.org/?fbclid=IwAR0kT7HUAkfVrVym3_l-AN71HWkMurgSjfP-qsG7kEsRGe6nGZhzaxA2dpM>

A couple quotes to guide this next session:

“I am convinced that the creative process involves more than one element,
and in our being musicians, music is just one of them. Simultaneously we
are all multidimensional beings/bodies with all these worlds that configure
us.”
– an excerpt from Paula Shocron’s piece in Mutual Mentorship for Musicians
- M³ Anthology of Writings
<https://mutualmentorshipformusicians.org/m%C2%B3-anthology-of-writings-vol-4/>

and

"Levine recalled the performance as “very ensemble oriented” and noted that
“solos were always in service to the dance and the overall piece. It was
different than pure jazz because we were all subsumed into doing a
music-and-dance piece. We were parts of the whole.”‘
– Rozanne Levine reflecting on a performance of the suite Document Humanum
with William Parker, Patricia Nicholson and others in 1976. Included in the
William Parker biography Universal Tonality by Cisco Bradley.

While this February session will not have a curator, most sessions will
begin with a curator presenting a new piece of music or concept or
improvisation for the first 30 minutes, then the session opens up for all
to participate and/or experience. The curator can set a theme for the jam
session portion of the evening. The *FreeSessions* create an incubation
ground for new musical projects and collaborations across disciplines.

At the *FreeSessions,* we have an improvised music, movement,
multi-media jam session to promote collaboration amongst performing artists
in Missoula across genres, media and ages. Our aim is to cultivate a
healthy musical and artistic eco-system in Missoula. We are fostering a
climate of improvisation, transcending musical styles, artistic
disciplines and structures. This session is to encourage active listening
among all participants and open experimentalism, to help foster a climate
of growth and learning.

Backline will be provided to minimize moving gear between improvisations
(bass amp, guitar amp, keyboard, drums). Must have prior experience with
this gear to use.

Please join us this Sunday and for the sessions to come!

*Upcoming Sessions:*

Sunday, February 5, 7-9pm

Sunday, March 5, 7-9pm - Curated by Kelly Bouma

Sunday, April 2, 7-9pm

Sunday, May 7, 7-9pm - Curated by Tricia Opstad

Westside Theater is located at 1200 Shakespeare Street Missoula, MT, 59802

Building Community by Truly Valuing Music and Listening
FreeSessions Every First Sunday At The Westside Theater
<https://www.thewestsidetheater.com>

Naomi Siegel
Founder and Artistic Director
Lakebottom Sound