[MCN] Tomorrow: rally to end the era of fossil fuels

Jeffrey J. Smith yswolfhowl at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 14:34:46 EDT 2023

*It’s Time to End the Era of Fossil Fuels*

*On Thursday, June 8*, *at the Missoula County Courthouse, 200 West
Broadway, from Noon to 2 p.m., *Missoula joins dozens of communities across
the U.S. to step up the pressure on our political leaders to reduce rising
temperatures by cutting greenhouse gas pollution.

“We’re making it harder to live on Earth by burning fossil fuels,” said 350
Montana co-chair, Craig Menteer. “At the same time, we have the money, the
technology, and the skilled workers in Montana to move quickly to cheaper
and cleaner energy. The time has come to summon the political will to make
it happen.”

May was Missoula’s hottest on record. Our snowpack – which was normal or
above normal in most drainages and usually provides our summer lifeline –
is already depleted. We are experiencing the consequences of profligate
carbon pollution. Steadily rising temperatures damage our forests, our
rivers and streams, and our farms and ranches. Nature is trying to tell us
that now is the time to act.

Tomorrow, Missoula will join communities from Maine to California to tell
President Biden and other politicians to stop green-lighting fossil fuel
projects like the Willow oil drilling project in Alaska and the BLM’s
oil/gas leasing in Montana. The time has come to put utilities like
NorthWestern Energy on notice that they will be penalized if they use coal
and methane to make electricity.

For our children and grandchildren’s sake, *here’s what we’re calling for: *

   1. *NO MORE FOSSIL FUELS.**.* Federal agencies must deny permits for any
   new fossil fuel project (pipelines, refineries, and export terminals).
   Biden must revoke the Willow oil drilling project in Alaska.

   1. *FOSSIL FUEL PHASE OUT NOW.* Biden has the legal authority to manage
   a decline in the production of oil and gas on *federal* lands and
   waters. One-fourth of U.S. climate pollution comes from drilling on public
   lands and waters. Phase it out.

   1. *DECLARE A CLIMATE EMERGENCY.* Biden must declare a national climate
   emergency, unlock additional powers to limit oil and gas exports and
   investments in fossil fuels, and make sure they move to more resilient
   clean energy.

   1. Increase the availability of clean energy technologies for homes and
   transit. Bring it on. End the era of fossil fuels.