[MCN] Western fires are burning higher in the mountains

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Mon Nov 27 20:33:32 EST 2023

Feedback

Western fires are burning higher in the mountains at ...

The Conversation
https://theconversation.com › western-fires-are-burnin...
 <https://theconversation.com/western-fires-are-burning-higher-in-the-mountains-at-unprecedented-rates-its-a-clear-sign-of-climate-change-159699>
May 24, 2021 — As wildfires creep higher up mountains, another tenth of the West's forest area is now at risk, according to our study. That creates new ...

Climate Change Pushes Fires Higher Into The Mountains

Boise State Public Radio
https://www.boisestatepublicradio.org › science-research
 <https://www.boisestatepublicradio.org/science-research/2021-09-15/climate-change-pushes-fires-higher-into-the-mountains>
Sep 15, 2021 — Higher elevations like mountain tops usually have more moisture, and fires historically hadn't burned there very often.

Western fires are burning higher in the mountains and at ...

The Conversation
https://theconversation.com › western-fires-are-burnin...
 <https://theconversation.com/western-fires-are-burning-higher-in-the-mountains-and-at-unprecedented-rates-as-the-climate-warms-167706>
Sep 13, 2021 — As wildfires creep higher up mountains, another tenth of the West's forest area is now at risk, our study found. That creates new hazards ...

Western wildfires burning higher up mountains at ...

Fast Company
https://www.fastcompany.com › western-wild-fires-burni...
 <https://www.fastcompany.com/90640403/western-wild-fires-burning-higher-up-mountains-at-unprecedented-rates>
May 25, 2021 — The Western U.S. appears headed for another dangerous fire season, and a new study shows that even high mountain areas once considered too ...

California wildfires are climbing higher up mountains ...

San Francisco Chronicle
https://www.sfchronicle.com › Bay Area
 <https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/California-wildfires-are-climbing-higher-up-16418967.php>
Aug 28, 2021 — California's wildfires are not only getting bigger, they're moving higher, reaching once unthinkable heights. The still-burning Dixie Fire ...

Mountain fires burning higher at unprecedented rates

McGill University
 <https://www.mcgill.ca/newsroom/channels/news/mountain-fires-burning-higher-unprecedented-rates-331540>
Jun 28, 2021 — Forest fires have crept higher up mountains over the past few decades, scorching areas previously too wet to burn, according to researchers ...

Ain't no mountain high enough: Why fires are climbing ...

US Forest Service (.gov)
 <https://www.fs.usda.gov/research/rmrs/news/highlights/aint-no-mountain-high-enough-why-fires-are-climbing-higher-ever-due-increased>
Fires are burning higher and broader. Increases in burned area and altogether larger fire occurrences have been noted throughout the past half-century ...

Climate Change Pushes Fires to Higher Ground

NASA Earth Observatory (.gov)
 <https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/148789/climate-change-pushes-fires-to-higher-ground>
Sep 6, 2021 — Wildfires in the western United States have been spreading to higher elevations due to warmer and drier conditions.

Elevation-dependent intensification of fire danger in the ...

Nature Journal
 <https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-023-37311-4>
by MR Alizadeh · 2023 · Cited by 1 — Elevation-dependent fire danger intensification implies that higher elevations that were historically wet enough to buffer fire ignition and ...

It's too easy to blame the corporations for the climate crisis, when we subsidize them every time we buy what they’re selling.

Corporate policy does matter. At the same time, corporations are dependent on the spending by their customers.

"This buck stops everywhere."

<<https://www.counterpunch.org/2018/06/25/caught-in-a-trap-of-our-own-making-climate-change-blame-and-denial/>>