[MCN] Climate change greatly escalates forest disturbance risks to US property values, particularly in high-risk regions of western US

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Fri Sep 1 16:12:58 EDT 2023

Climate change greatly escalates forest disturbance risks to US property values
William R L Anderegg, Timothy Collins, Sara Grineski, Sarah Nicholls and Christoph Nolte
Published 17 August 2023 •
Environmental Research Letters <https://iopscience.iop.org/journal/1748-9326>, Volume 18 <https://iopscience.iop.org/volume/1748-9326/18>, Number 9 <https://iopscience.iop.org/issue/1748-9326/18/9>
Citation William R L Anderegg et al 2023 Environ. Res. Lett. 18 094011
DOI 10.1088/1748-9326/ace639
 <https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/ace639/pdf>
Article PDF <https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/ace639/pdf>
862 Total downloads

Abstract

Anthropogenic climate change is projected to drive increases in climate extremes and climate-sensitive ecosystem disturbances such as wildfire with enormous economic impacts. Understanding spatial and temporal patterns of risk to property values from climate-sensitive disturbances at national and regional scales and from multiple disturbances is urgently needed to inform risk management and policy efforts. Here, we combine models for three major climate-sensitive disturbances (i.e., wildfire, climate stress-driven tree mortality, and insect-driven tree mortality), future climate projections of these disturbances, and high-resolution property values data to quantify the spatiotemporal exposure of property values to disturbance across the contiguous United States (US). We find that property values exposed to these climate-sensitive disturbances increase sharply in future climate scenarios, particularly in existing high-risk regions of the western US, and that novel exposure risks emerge in some currently lower-risk regions such as the southeast and Great Lakes regions. Climate policy that drives emissions towards low-to-moderate climate futures avoids large increases in disturbance risk exposure compared to high emissions scenarios. Our results provide an important large-scale assessment of climate-sensitive disturbance risk to property values to help inform land management and climate adaptation efforts.

“I just want it to be clear that the mainstream environmental movement has been asking very little of people for decades,” said Bea Ruiz, also an organizer with the U.S. national [ Extinction Rebellion ] team.

“There’s no element of, ‘We are in an emergency. We all need to do more than what we’re doing.”

Extinction Rebellion’s radical philosophy
July 22 2019
https://thinkprogress.org/the-radical-philosophy-of-extinction-rebellion-5857d3955b57/