[MCN] I have the pdf: History of coal economics: 16th-21st centuries

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Sun Aug 30 12:51:52 EDT 2015

"In societies earlier than the one that arose in
western Europe in medieval times mining was
looked on with disfavor. It was often regarded as
robbery, even as a kind of rape."

I have the pdf

Scientific American November 1977
An Early Energy Crisis and Its Consequences
Summary. In the 16th century Britain ran out of
wood and resorted to coal. The adoption of the
new fuel set in motion a chain of events that
culminated some two centuries later in the
Industrial Revolution.

John U. Nef

Excerpts

"The conversion to a new kind of fuel might have
had less effect on the British economy if Britain
had been poorly, or even only moderately, endowed
with coal. Before the end of the 17th century,
however, it had become clear that Britain
possessed enormous coal reserves. Š This trove of
energy resources began to exert a pull in the
direction of a quantity production that had not
been equaled in previous history."

"The new dignity attached to mining was reserved
for metallic ores. It did not extend to coal. The
medieval craftsmen who needed fuel wanted their
work to be beautiful, whether it was for their
church or for rich laymen. The unpleasant smoke
and fumes of coal therefore limited the market
for it. There was little incentive before the
mid-16th century to dig deep into the soil in
search of this dirty fuel as long as wood was
available, and there seemed to be an abundance of
that."

"In spite of the smoke and fumes of coal and in
spite of a widespread distaste for it, by the
time of the civil war in the 1640's Londoners
were dependent on the coastwise shipment of coal
to keep warm. In 1651 the anonymous author of
News from Newcastle wrote verses in praise of the
new fuel. "England's a per-; feet World! Has
Indies too! I Correct your Maps; New-castle is
Peru! ... I Let th' naughty Spaniard triumph,
'til 'tis told I Our sooty mineral purifies his
gold."

Even earlier, as is made clear by William
Harrison's Description of Britain (1577) and by a
petition London brewŠ"

"In the 1920's and 1930's most students of the
coming of industrialism (myself included)
accepted the explanations of Karl Marx, Sir
William Ashley, Max Weber, Henri Hauser and
others. The works of these scholars suggested
that the advent of capitalism and of the
"capitalist spirit" was the main factor leading
to the overwhelming increase in the output of
goods and services in the 19th century. I now
think that an even more important factor was a
growing faith in the multiplication of output.

"Late in the 16th century a new attention came to
be focused on concepts of quantity. "

"The idea of rates of growth introduced during
the Elizabethan age brought a fresh precision to
economic studies."

"The exploitation of the earth's resources has
often violated the bounds of good taste. To make
the most of these resources calls not only for
ingenuity but also for restraint. At present
man's dependence on fossil fuels is as
problematic as his dependence on wood was some
400 years ago"

"We are living on the surface of this planet Š
and with its climate and atmosphere. It has
always been the task of mankind to find the right
answer to the problem these conditions set us,
and even today we cannot think that we have found
a sufficient answer." p. 131

The Individual Psychology of Alfred Adler, by
Heinz L. and Rowena R. Ansbacher.  1956. Basic
Books
--
  "We illustrate how forest harvesting has

Green, K. C., and Y. Alila (2012), A paradigm
shift in understanding and quantifying the
effects of forest harvesting on floods in snow
environments, Water Resources Research, 48,
W10503, doi:10.1029/2012WR012449.